Charlie Nicholas’ Premier League score predictions – 20th December

Charlie Nicholas has given his predictions for all of this weekend’s Premier League fixtures and it’s fair to say there are some eye-catching scores.

The former Celtic, Arsenal, Aberdeen and Scotland footballer currently works as a pundit for Sky Sports and most every weekend appears on the Soccer Saturday show to commentate on games and get involved with debates. See what he went with below and on the next few pages…

MAN CITY v LEICESTER

The score Charlie Nicholas has predicted for this game is: 3-1

He said on Sky Sports’ website: “We have a belting game here. Liverpool must be thinking they cannot lose here, but these two will believe the Premier League title race is not over.

“This is the really interesting game for Brendan Rodgers’ Leicester. They have the capability of going there and winning while playing an attractive match at the same time. Mikel Arteta has gone to Arsenal; Pep Guardiola could leave in the not-too-distant future, but who would be in line for the Manchester City job? Rodgers could be in that pipeline because of way Man City play.

“I do not think Man City have given up, but they cannot talk about the title challenge as it is of no relevance to them right now. If they can beat Leicester and reduce the gap to 11 points with Liverpool still to play their game in hand, it will be intriguing. If Liverpool then go to Leicester and lose, that gap then goes down to eight points and suddenly the difference is very similar to what it was last season.

“What do these teams have to lose? I think Man City will finish in top two and Leicester will end up third. This is the ultimate test for Rodgers as he will want to play and showcase his style more so than normal. I genuinely think, with what we saw Man City do to Arsenal, they may have got the fire back in their belly.”

WATFORD v MAN UTD

The score Charlie Nicholas has predicted for this game is: 1-2

He said on Sky Sports’ website: “I think Watford are already gone. Six points is the gap and we are only two games away from the halfway stage in terms of Premier League campaign. Man Utd have picked up, there is no doubt about that, but there is a vulnerability there. It has improved, and because of that Man Utd will get through it, but it will not be plain sailing here.”

TOTTENHAM v CHELSEA

The score Charlie Nicholas has predicted for this game is: 2-2

He said on Sky Sports’ website: “It is another cracker. The match is the ‘Special One’ against the intriguing one, or the potential one.

“Frank Lampard has done a great job thus far but Chelsea have been up and down as we expected. Inconsistency is a thing, but this will be the case with whatever he is trying to achieve until they establish themselves a bit more. This will take a while, perhaps a season-and-a-half with these players.

“Jose Mourinho is ruthless and that is the agenda for Tottenham right now. They are still in the Champions League but they are just wanting to win games in general – this was the reason Mourinho was brought in. If they try to force the game, Chelsea could pick them off. and Lampard will be curious as to test Tottenham’s defence. With Willian, Tammy Abraham and Mason Mount you have lots of energy and lots of ways to exploit out wide, but I cannot separate them.”

EVERTON v ARSENAL

The score Charlie Nicholas has predicted for this game is: 2-1

He said on Sky Sports’ website: “I imagine Carlo Ancelotti will be in by this game, although may not be in the dugout, but it’s an intriguing signing for them. He has a great CV and as a player, I enjoyed watching him. He is a stylish and well-respected gentleman, much like Claudio Ranieri, with an even better winning mentality. He gives players respect and he wants respect back by them giving him everything they have.

“Duncan Ferguson has got the edge back into them. Goodison Park was one of the toughest grounds to go to in the 1980s. Everton are so in-your-face, they are aggressive towards the opposition and if they are like this with Arsenal, they will get a lot of joy.

“Mikel Arteta has been confirmed but will not be in the dugout. The way Everton have been looking under Ferguson, I think they could turn Arsenal over in this one, who look soft at the moment.”

ASTON VILLA v SOUTHAMPTON

The score Charlie Nicholas has predicted for this game is: 2-1

He said on Sky Sports’ website: “If ever Aston Villa needed a boost, it is now. I watched Villa last week and thought they were half-decent. John McGinn has gone quiet, while Jack Grealish is doing well – the midfield is struggling and they are rash in their decision-making in defence.

“Wesley has to be the target man as that is how he wants to work, but he does not actually link up with the play. Because of that you have Jonathan Kodjia, who scored twice in the week, but he does not want to run either. What do you do here? Wesley scored at the death against Liverpool in the Carabao Cup and he is more suited to them. I would still start Kodjia and bring the more energetic and determined Wesley off the bench with 20 minutes to go.

“Southampton are too predictable and are relying on Danny Ings too much. Nathan Redmond has the pace and will give them something but not enough, and the wing backs not strong enough. At the back they are a bag of nerves and their goalkeeping situation is a difficult one too. Fraser Forster has been amazing for Celtic, particularly in the Scottish League Cup final, so he will be wondering what is going on as well. Who do you pick?”

Take a look at more of his predictions on the next page.