Bury rename their stadium – to come into place from 2019/20 season

It has been revealed that Bury are to rename their Gigg Lane stadium from the 2019/20 season.

The League Two promotion hopefuls have announced a partnership with a renewable energy firm which will see the ground called Planet-U Energy Stadium.

Bury director Matthew McCarthy said, as quoted by Bury Times: “We are very excited to welcome such an ambitious and fast-growing business into the ever-growing commercial family here at Bury FC.

“This is a landmark deal for not only the football club but also for League Two. We are looking forward to developing a successful relationship together.

“While it is still early days this partnership is another positive step in the club’s continued growth and an excellent opportunity to collaborate with a brand that shares our core values.”

The CEO of Planet-U Energy said: “We are very proud and excited to be associated with Bury FC.

“The title sponsorship gives us a platform to support the team whilst driving awareness and growth for the Planet-U Energy brand.

“We are looking forward to a successful working relationship, delivering 100 per cent renewable energy for the team.”

After learning of the sponsorship deal and the new name of Bury’s Gigg Lane, fans took to social media to give their reaction to it and of course there were amusing puns – check out what they had to say on the next page.