Brandon Williams’ stunning run from own half and finish wows as Ipswich beat Preston 4-2

Brandon Williams’ stunning run from own half and finish wows as Ipswich Town beat Preston North End 4-2 on Saturday afternoon.

The Tractor Boys are already eight points clear in the Championship promotion race after victory at Portman Road, extending their lead over the third-placed Lilywhites.

Conor Chaplin had put Ipswich in front on 18 minutes, before the visitors got an equaliser thanks to Mads Frokjaer-Jensen.

Brandon Williams’ superb solo goal had Ipswich leading again on 35 minutes, which was added to by Nathan Broadhead on the verge of half time.

Ben Whiteman netted to get Preston back in it, however, Kayden Jackson made it 4-2 to ensured the promoted side’s extraordinary start to the season continued and inflicted a third straight defeat for Preston.

“It was a great result to finish off the block of games, with some great goals and some great entertainment,” Ipswich boss Kieran McKenna told TownTV post-match.

“There were some bits I didn’t love but we found a way. We scored some great goals and didn’t give up too many chances, so I thought we ended up worthy winners.”

On four good goals, Kieran said: “It was a great set-piece to get us started, so credit to the players and the staff as well.

“It didn’t look quite that good in training, but sometimes they do look better in the arena.

“The second was an incredible goal and Brandon showed that drive and determination all game, which we needed today.

“We recycled a set-piece for the third and we’ve spoken about how they can win you games on days like this, and there was a great header from Burge (Cameron Burgess) and some really unselfish play from Hirsty (George Hirst), giving Broady a tap-in.

“We had a really good impact from the subs with Marcus (Harness) and Jack (Taylor) battling for it, then Omari (Hutchinson) being unselfish with the slide and not an easy finish for Kayden, because he had a long time to wait and needed to show good concentration.”

Reflecting on some of the potential areas for improvement, Kieran said: “It looked a tired performance in some ways at the end of a big week, with a massive effort from the players.

“There were bits that weren’t perfect and I didn’t think we came out very well at the start of the second half, not with the right energy, but we kept going and the subs brought fresh energy and helped us kill it off.

“But we have to take all of the positives and the players deserve a lot of credit for their performances over this block of games.”

Preston’s Ryan Lowe said: “I think we’ve been beaten by two better teams I must say but we’ve not helped ourselves in getting beat in those two games.

“A couple of mistakes on Wednesday night; a couple of mistakes again today. You can’t give good teams opportunities and mistakes because they’ll punish you.

“Overall I’m disappointed with the week. It’s been a tough week – probably the toughest since I’ve been here, but in saying that we’re still third in the league.

“We’ve had a tremendous start but, as I’ve just said to the lads in there, I demand a bit more now and if they can’t handle that they won’t play.

“It’s up to us to regroup and rest while we’ve got a couple of days’ break and go again.

“The first half wasn’t acceptable. The goals we conceded were nowhere near what we should be conceding.

“We’ve been solid and resolute in everything we’ve done. The first one we know quite well what he’s going to do, but he gets a bit of a block and a few men don’t do their job which is disappointing.

“The second one – for him to run from where he ran from and the ball goes in, again that’s not us. The third one just shows that we weren’t quite at it, especially in the first half.

“It was a better second-half performance. They warranted to get something out the game, and if we could have kept it at 3-1 until the back end of the game you never know what might have opened up for us.”

Here’s how fans reacted as Brandon Williams’ stunning run from own half and finish wows fans with Ipswich going on to beat Preston 4-2…

@stevieb998: He’s finally playing in a decent team 💙🚜⚽

@RooVanMataZaj: Hell of a goal this from young Brandon – at RB as well (who’d have thought it). Ipswich & Leicester now pulling away atop the Championship. Full credit to Kieran McKenna for the job he’s doing!

@StevieMcGarry85: Ooo look Williams playing in his preferred position on the RIGHT. Well done lad top player 👏🏼

@mattmakin85: I could (and indeed have) watch this goal on repeat 💙 #itfc

@DanBloke: Wins the ball, runs 60 yards, passes it into the net, hates Norwich 💙

@ClintonDavey: They are absolutely flying at the mo and a joy to watch.

@JamiePike82: They were excellent in L1 last season, just seem to be carrying on!

@KaidaSorare: Oh Brandon, how United could do with you now

@gbic111: Ah yes, pure luck like every other fan across the league believes 🤣🤣 Jealousy and envy are running through many fans just like Williams did through Preston 💙

@Glover151: That’s some run and finish, Bale’esc

@millwalleio: He ran unchallenged for 60 yards?

@Little_lee82: He’d made a similar run earlier in the game and got taken out. Think most of the Preston players that side of the pitch had already picked up a yellow at this point. Couldn’t cope with our pace in wide areas.

@_kieranbl: Fucking love this lad. What a boy

@Godbinna: Kieran McKenna has Ipswich 2nd in the Championship playing quality football and moved Brandon Williams to his best position. He’s doing wonders in Suffolk

@Lewis52828244: He knows he’s on the right side of anglia 😍🔵⚪️

@itfc_louis: Blew me away with this one fair play brandon mate