Birmingham City

Birmingham confirm decision to get rid of John Eustace despite being 6th in the Championship

Birmingham City confirm their decision to get rid of manager John Eustace despite being 6th in the Championship table.

The club have received huge backlash online for dismissing the head coach, with the Blues 6th, sitting in the playoffs, and won 3-1 against rivals West Brom on Friday.

Eustace is now the favourite for the vacant Glasgow Rangers managerial position.

The news comes at a time when that Wayne Rooney could be heading to St Andrew’s after leaving his role as manager of MLS side DC United on Saturday.

CLUB STATEMENT:

It is essential that the Board of Directors and the football management are fully aligned on the importance of implementing a winning mentality and a culture of ambition across the entire Football Club.

With this in mind, Birmingham City has today parted company with Head Coach, John Eustace.

Eustace departs after 15 months in charge, having helped to stabilise and strengthen the Club on the pitch following his appointment in July 2022.

In his first season at the helm, he guided the team to a 17th-place finish, securing Sky Bet Championship status with three games remaining.

During his time at St. Andrew’s, he galvanised the squad to deliver a number of memorable moments in testing circumstances.

The Club would like to thank John for his contribution. His dedication and work ethic was evident throughout his time in B9 and he will always be welcomed back to St. Andrew’s.

A new First Team Manager will be announced in the coming days who will be responsible for creating an identity and clear ‘no fear’ playing style that all Birmingham City teams will adopt and embrace.

The Club will be issuing no further comment at this time.

It has been widely suggested that Rooney could be on his way to St Andrew’s, yet he has insisted that he does not have a job lined up as he returns to the country.

Birmingham CEO Garry Cook is said to be ‘the driving force’ behind this managerial change, and risk undoing everything good that Eustace has done to get them where they are now by sacking him.

The BBC’s Aaron Paul claiming that Rooney’s move to Birmingham is a done deal with John O’Shea and Ashley Cole rumoured to be joining him.

Eustace’s last game in charge was for the Championship clash between Birmingham and West Brom at The Hawthorns on Friday night.

Juninho Bacuna, Dion Sanderson and Gary Gardner scored in the Blues comeback win, you can read more on that HERE.

Speaking to BluesTV following the second home win in the space of four days, he said: “That is what my Birmingham City teams are all about. We can play some good football at times, we can dig in, we can fight, we can scrap and we are together.

“Most importantly, a huge thank you to the fans tonight. They really got us through some difficult moments, but the group, overall, showed that fight and togetherness. I was really proud of the Football Club tonight.”

Eustace reflected on the first 11 matches of the 2023/24 season.

“Over the course of the games, we have lost three, have we deserved to lose them three – no we haven’t. We have had some really good performances away from home without taking the points.

“The most important thing is that we don’t get carried away with the highs or the lows. It is about keeping a steady head and keep working hard and when we do have those difficult moments, believing in the process – which we’ve done – and then the results will come.”

Here’s how fans reacted as Birmingham confirm the decision to get rid of John Eustace despite being 6th in the Championship…

@JoeRikerEvans: Rooney bound to get the job but I’m not sure he’s that good of a manger if I’m honest. Not a blues fan but I’d be concerned with this decision

@BillyCarroll21: Absolutely disgraceful decision!!

@stacyleigh1983: Gutted to see Eustace go especially after the performances and results the last 2 games. Dunno who wrote it but what a terrible start to the statement that was. All the best John! #bcfc #kro

@jbablues: #BCFC the circus is back in town.

@nathmccarthyy: Never a dull moment with this bastard football club #BCFC 😂😂

@matt_bcfc4: Agree or disagree. I’m sure most people including myself disagree with the decision but it’s happened and now it looks like Rooney is the man for the job, back him and get behind him and let’s hope the decision that’s been made is the right one #bcfc

@leewatson04: I think we’ve made a rash decision here, it feels very familiar too. Only time will tell now time to support the new management going forward. They need to buy into our values though it’s not a one way street #bcfc

@liam_birks: It’s absolutely brutal from the new owners they better hope Rooney does the buisness or else there’ll be a riot. It feels like Birmingham fans just can’t have a normal season. #BCFC

@Kieranbcfc2: This is all on Garry Cook by the way. If it works then fair enough he’s smashed it. But if it fails then he should be the one rightfully on the chopping block. #bcfc

@Adamsbcfc: Nothing screams wanting a winning mentality like hiring wayne rooney with his 23% win rate

@charlieozzz: Awful awful decision

@MarkSimo98: Shocking decision, worse than rowett. New owners same shit. We’re 6th in the league ffs @BCFC Never mind the bigger picture and growing the club on an international scale, we were still in the process of stabilising a position in the league and getting fans back on side. #bcfc

@AndyMon07: Absolutely appalling decision. The board will now be judged on their next appointment record going forward. This can go two ways. Let’s wait and see. #BCFC

@Waltonnn_5: Feel eustace has been seriously robbed really. Deserved till Christmas atleast given how we’ve started and especially some of the football we’ve played this season. Looked like ‘no fear’ attacking to me. This has to work out now+ we deserve a real explanation. #bcfc

@kiebales_: We want a winning mentality so we are getting Wayne Rooney with his 27% win ratio as a manager, make it make sense. Screams of Gianfranco Zola all over again, hope I’m wrong. Poor statement, first notch on the record for the new owners, let’s hope it works out. #bcfc

@JackLangley93: Sacking a manager when currently in the play off places. 5 wins 3 draws 3 defeats. Shocking that. No surprise if Birmingham suddenly catapult down towards the bottom.

@SamGuini: If sitting in the play-offs after years of relegation battles isn’t ’winning mentality’, I don’t know what is. The wording of this is disrespectful, not only to Eustace but us the fans too. Poor form, Blues. #BCFC

@BloreLuke: We’re back, fire up that 17th place finish

@MarkBcfc3: Big thank you to John Eustace. Came in at a difficult time and did a great job. Gave everything to it and deserve more of an opportunity 💙

@mn_1875: We were a serious clubs for 3 months 👍

More in Birmingham City