Gloucester City

Big concerns as Gloucester City chairman leaves after worst start to league season in 78 years

There are big concerns emerging as Gloucester City chairman Patrick Chambers leaves after their worst start to a league season in 78 years.

Also stepping away is operations director Nicky Chambers with the club sitting bottom of the National League North, picking up just 11 points from 18 games played. They sit bottom of the league, 11 points from safety.

A club statement posted via their socials on Thursday said: “The club can confirm that Patrick and Nicky Chambers have stepped down from their roles this morning. A further statement will go out during the day confirming the club’s stewardship going forward.”

They had come into the club at the end of the 2022/23 campaign, having previously been in the same roles with Hungerford Town for four years, as per Gloucestershire Live.

Patrick Chambers said they switched with ‘opportunity to grow the club’, and added “I wouldn’t be taking on this project if I thought it was doomed for failure, but when Gloucester boss Mike Cook was asked on his relationship with the Chambers’ recently, he replied “Patrick is good, Nicky is great, we’re all trying to move forward.”

It’s not clear as to who will take over as chairman, with co-owner Alex Petheram giving an interview to Severn Sport where he outlines the immediate future.

Speaking to Severn Sport, he said: “I’ve not said I was or am coming back. The plan will be to create a board, which anyone can then join as long as they are voted and supported by the board.

“Hopefully through this process, we’ll find someone that wants to grown within the club and grow their role and then who knows what the future holds from there.

“It’s been and is very hard [to see City’s struggles this season]. The club needs to be together and right now, being blunt, it seems very toxic within sections around the club.

“The Ladies and Youth teams will also need to be supported too, as they have been talking about breaking away and for me, that just can not happen.

“We need to bring the club together. The siege mentality we had during the exile seasons is what we need now. Football is a pyramid system and we all need to accept that we’re not entitled to anything in life.”

Petheram, who stepped down as Co-Chairman of the club in August 2022, has stayed on at the club, but in the role of Co-Owner alongside Eamonn McGurk since and came very close to having his side promoted last season. But this one has gone disastrously wrong, with that put down to poor recruitment in the dugout and on the pitch.

Mike Cook, a favourite with the fans, is now in charge with the hope he get pick up their form.

“Last season is now irrelevant, we have to be honest and focus on the right now,” said Petheram. “Cookie [Mike Cook] is now at the helm and the club needs to do all it can to support him.

“Even though the results haven’t been what he would like, Mike has produced much better performances than we saw at the start of the season and we are here to fully support and get behind him and his coaching team.

“The board of people and myself will do whatever we think is possible to get us climbing up the league and retain our National League status.

“With the latest chapter in the rollercoaster of a story that is Gloucester City AFC.

“We need to give thanks to everyone that has helped and worked within the club at all levels this season, from Chairman to match day volunteers and bar staff – as without them all we do not have a club.

“The definition of a football supporter is “a person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular football team” but what is important to remember, there is no scoring system for this very clear definition.

“Yes, we love those that travel away, those that work in the shop, those that buy a season ticket, but ALL supporters are equal.

“I support and care for the club because my Granddad used to take my Dad and then my Dad would take me. Recently, me, my Dad and my boys have all gone together.

“That is why I care and that chain of growing supporters is the only way this club, or any club, will ever grow.

“Get behind Cookie and the lads, starting with the FA Trophy game this weekend. Ever forward, AP.”

This is what fans are saying amid big concerns as the Gloucester City chairman leaves after their worst start to a league season in 78 years…

@ttowel: Very sad news. I think a few people are going to regret getting what they wanted and fear for the club going back to the basket case it was last year.

@shauntippins: This is very worrying as I’ve seen a lot of improvement off the field but obviously not enough on the field. Good luck @PatChambers60 & @nickypinks in whatever you do next

@elliswoody22: Basically have to hope we get bailed out like the good old days in exile somehow… things did improve off the pitch but on it has clearly been an embarrassment and it was time to go if they had no plan going forward. But no need for the abuse either!

@MAUC190890: Would welcome them both back at @HungerfordTown in a heartbeat! Proper proper nice people.

@tigermarkie: Really sad ending to what promised to be a sustainable but promising era with good people. Some poor decision making with manager and player personnel but ultimately they wanted the best for the club. Can only see it being a struggle going forward…

@mike_2332: So they took city from play offs to relegation in a matter of months then walk away! Thanks!

@jane36london: Pat and Nicky always welcome at Dorking Wanderers any time they’re free to enjoy a game 👍🍔

@GL_pool: Can’t say I blame them with the hounding they’ve had. Pretty sure I saw someone recently calling for the fans to run the club… Time for a few to step up and show us how it’s done.

@DarranPearce: Shame but not surprised as a certain section of the fan base wanted them gone pretty much from the start and understand why they’ve gone given the hassle. No doubt it means a certain person is coming back to try and look like the saviour he isn’t

@char__barnett: Make or break time for Gloucester City…

More in Gloucester City