Connect with us


Winners of National League South Playoff Final seal promotion

The winners of Saturday afternoon’s National League South Playoff Final seal promotion to the top tier of non league football.

Hosts Weymouth finished 3rd in their first season back at Step 2 whilst Dartford were 6th, with the table based on points-per-game.

The Terras had a bye to the semi finals whilst the Darts had to start from the quarter finals.

Dartford boss Steve King guided his side to a 3-0 win against Slough Town in their first playoff tie, then went on to get a 2-1 win, coming back from 1-0 down against Havant & Waterlooville, who were favourites to win the playoffs.

Weymouth’s Mark Molesley was left pleased after watching his players secure a place in the final after beating Dorking Wanderers 3-2, thanks to Yemi Odubade’s 95th minute winner in the semis.

These two sides quite clearly love to score goals, however there were a lack of it in this much anticipated clash.

The opening half started tight, on the 13th minute, Dartford’s Craig Braham-Barrett was there with a superb block. The ball fell kindly to Jordan Ngalo after a mazy run from Jaidon Anthony but a fantastic block by Braham-Barrett denies him from making it 1-0 to the Terras.

Shortly after, Dartford dangerman Darren McQueen forced a sharp low save from Calum Ward. McQueen had lost his footing, stumbling to the ground, but still managed to connect with a swing of his left boot, Ward doing well to keep the effort out.

In the 33rd minute, Weymouth’s Calvin Brooks chased a hooked ball near the byline and went down under clear contact, however the referee, Robert Whitton said play on.

Moments later, there was a big chance for Dartford. Braham-Barrett received the ball down the left, beat his man, cut it back to Tyrique Hyde who could only hit it straight at the Keeper.

Another fantastic chance saw Dartford’s Elliot Romain lift the ball over the top for Charlie Sheringham, who found himself one on one, however his header was saved by the keeper for a corner which came to nothing.

The half time whistle blew and neither side could be separated, plenty going on in both ends, but still a tense contest.

Dartford continued their good football with their front unit beginning to click as Sheringham teed up McQueen, however the shot was again straight at the keeper in the 62nd minute.

Almost immediately after, Weymouth’s Ben Thomson performed an outstanding run down the right, checked inside, faked a shot and clipped a superb effort that looked bound to hit the back of the net. Sesay, prevented that from happening with a stunning stop to get a hand on it.

Chances from both sides continued for the remainder of the second half, but again they were all brilliantly saved.

The tie ended up going to penalties, and this is how it played out…

Whelan SCORES – 1-0 Weymouth
Jebb OVER THE BAR – 1-0
McCarthy SCORES – 2-0 Weymouth
McQueen MISSES – 2-0
Anthony SCORES – 3-0 Weymouth
Husin MISSES – 3-0

Following back-to-back promotions, Weymouth will grace the National League for the first time since 2008-09.

Weymouth will be joined by either Boston United and Altrincham, who will play out the National League Playoff Final later today.

Fans reacted to the huge achievement of Weymouth being named the winners of National League South Playoff Final who seal promotion…

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Uncategorized