West Ham legends walk off pitch after alleged racial abuse at 7-a-side tournament

West Ham legends players walk off the pitch after one of their players received alleged racial abuse at a 7-a-side tournament in the US.

The incident took place on Thursday during the match between Dallas United at The Soccer Tournament.

The match in North Carolina was suspended when a Dallas United footballer was accused of calling West Ham’s Frank Nouble the “n-word”.

Anton Ferdinand, Carlton Cole, and Marlon Harewood were all playing in the match with Ferdinand was heard saying ‘I am here to set a precedent’ as his team walked off the pitch.

During the argument, the ex-West Ham defender Ferdinand was also heard threatening to “punch up” a Dallas United footballer.

Many will recall Ferdinand being involved in an extremely high-profile case of racism in 2011, when an independent panel found Chelsea’s John Terry guilty for racially abusing Ferdinand during a Premier League game.

A West Ham statement read on this week’s incident: “The players made a collective decision to walk off the pitch as a team in support of our player. As a club, everyone at West Ham United stands shoulder to shoulder in solidarity against all forms of discrimination and abuse.”

Anton Ferdinand said as per the club website:“I didn’t expect anything less from West Ham as a Club,” Ferdinand, who made 163 appearances in Claret and Blue between 2003-08, said. “The topic of conversation that was laid bare yesterday was bigger than football. The way that TST dealt with it, so swiftly and with no nonsense action, a lot of people and organisations around the world can take note.

“Again, West Ham United, the support they’ve given us as a team and as a squad, not just to us but to the staff here with us, has been second to none.

“The team as a whole, the squad as a whole and the Club as a whole have used their voice in the best way and that’s why I’m proud, with my chest out and with this badge on me because we dealt with it in the right way, along with TST.

“We have to remember this isn’t just a football issue, this is a societal issue that needs addressing and if more people address it the way TST addressed it, the world would be a better place.

“We won’t stop fighting. The message is it’s not just ethnic minority peoples’ fight, it’s everybody’s fight. You need to speak about it the same way I speak about it, the same way my teammates speak about it.

“I think everybody needs to come together and fight as a collective.  It’s hard, but football can be the catalyst for change in society, but society has to want to change with it.

“The support kept us going today and it shows no matter where we go in the world, we will always run into West Ham fans. In my opinion they’re the best in the world.

“What we’ve done today, regardless of whether we went through or not, is that we put a performance in. Not just for ourselves, or our family watching back home, but for the US West Ham fans and the British West Ham fans who have travelled here.

“We put in a great shift for them today and it was only right that we showed resilience. We had to show resilience and togetherness yesterday and we’ve dealt with it off the pitch and now we’ve dealt with it on the pitch. There’s no bigger statement than that.

“I loved hearing American fans singing Bubbles and it tells you everything about this football club.”

The side’s manager Tom Skinner, said: “‘I am so proud of Anton for taking a stand and walking the team off the pitch. Racism has no place in Football and Dallas United getting disqualified was the right decision.

‘When I was asked to manage West Ham for this tournament, it was a dream come true for me. I have grown up watching these players and each and everyone of them has my full support.

‘They are all amazing players. I went to see Harry Redknapp for some advice before the tournament which really helped me.

‘Now come on you Irons let’s give it 110% and win the tournament. Bosh!’

Dallas United has now left the lucrative seven-aside tournament following the cancellation of their Friday match. It is not clear whether they were disqualified, or if they left on their own accord.

TST is the first tournament of its kind, with 32 teams competing from around the world for a $1 million prize. Dortmund, Wolves, Wrexham and Hashtag United are among them.

Former Premier League players Cesc Fabregas, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan are also taking part.

Tournament organisers said in a statement: “After conducting an investigation into the final moments of the match between West Ham United and Dallas United, we have concluded that Dallas United violated TST’s code of conduct.

“We have been in dialogue with leadership from both clubs and we are all aligned that the best path forward is Dallas United withdrawing from competition.

“All parties involved are unified in wanting to make a statement against racial insensitivity.

“We seek to run an event that is not only fiercely high stakes for all competitors, but also one in which all competitors feel safe and protected.

“As a result, tomorrow’s (Friday) game between Dallas United and Far East United has been cancelled.”

Dallas United also launched their own internal investigation but refused to confirm or deny West Ham’s allegations.

A club statement read: “In light of the shadow cast by an opposing player’s accusation during tonight’s match, the Dallas United players unanimously decided to withdraw from the remainder of the competition. Our coaches and staff fully support the team’s decision.

“We thank TST7v7 for the opportunity to compete in the tournament.”

West Ham team:
Manager – Tom Skinner
Players – Anton Ferdinand, Frank Nouble, Marlon Harewood, Zavon Hines, Carlton Cole, Jimmy Walker, Matt Jarvis

Wrexham team:
Manager – David Jones
Players – Dan Jarvis, Lee Trundle, Louis Lloyd, David Jones, George Boyd, Filip Markovic, Nico Cavallo

Wolves team:
Manager – Darren Ryan and assisted by fan favourite Kevin Foley
Players – Harry Burgoyne, Richard Stearman, Scott Golbourne, Prince Oniangue, Adlene Guedioura, Bakary Sako and Leon Clarke

TST 2023 group stage

TST Group A standings

TeamGamesWinsLossesGoals
For
Goals
Against
Goal
Diff.
1. Newtown Pride FC-Q321123+9
2. Kingdom FC-Q321137+6
3. Hoosier Army-E321119+4
4. Borussia Dortmund-E303320-17
  • Q = Qualified to Round of 16
  • = Eliminated

TST Group A schedule

DateMatch
Thu, June 1B. Dortmund 2-5 Hoosier’s Army
Thu, June 1Kingdom FC 2-1 Newtown Pride FC
Thu, June 1B. Dortmund 0-8 Newtown Pride FC
Thu, June 1Hoosier’s Army 5-4 Kingdom FC
Fri, June 2B. Dortmund 1-7 Kingdom FC
Fri, June 2Hoosier’s Army 1-3 Newtown Pride FC

TST Group B standings

TeamGamesWinsLossesGoals
For
Goals
Against
Goal
Diff.
1. Blade & Grass FC-Q33096+3
2. DMV Diplomats-Q31210100
3. Wolves-E3121112-1
4. Villita FC-E312911-2
  • Q = Qualified to Round of 16
  • = Eliminated

TST Group B schedule

DateMatch
Thu, June 1Wolves 3-6 Villita FC
Thu, June 1Blade & Grass 3-2 DMV Diplomats
Thu, June 1Blade & Grass 4-3 Wolves
Thu, June 1DMV Diplomats 6-2 Villita FC
Fri, June 2DMV Diplomats 2-5 Wolves FC
Fri, June 2Blade & Grass 2-1 Villita FC

TST Group C standings

TeamGamesWinsLossesGoals
For
Goals
Against
Goal
Diff.
1. Hapoel Tel Aviv-Q330135+8
2. SLC FC-Q32187+1
3. Club Necaxa-E312910-1
4. Virginia Dream-E303412-8
  • Q = Qualified to Round of 16
  • = Eliminated

TST Group C schedule

DateMatch
Thu, June 1Club Necaxa 3-4 SLC FC
Thu, June 1Hapoel Tel Aviv 6-1 Virginia Dream
Thu, June 1Club Necaxa 2-3 Hapoel Tel Aviv
Thu, June 1SLC FC 2-0 Virginia Dream
Fri, June 2Hapoel Tel Aviv 4-2 SLC FC
Fri, June 2Club Necaxa 4-3 Virginia Dream

TST Group D standings

TeamGamesWinsLossesGoals
For
Goals
Against
Goal
Diff.
1. Culture by Mo Ali FC-Q21154+1
2. Far East United-Q211440
3. West Ham-E21167-1
4. Dallas United***
  • Q = Qualified to Round of 16
  • = Eliminated

TST Group D schedule

DateMatchTime (ET)
Thu, June 1Far East United 4-2 West Ham
Thu, June 1Culture by Mo Ali FC 3-1 Dallas United
Thu, June 1Dallas United 2-0*** West Ham
Thu, June 1Culture by Mo Ali FC 2-0 Far East United
Fri, June 2Culture by Mo Ali FC 3-4 West Ham
Fri, June 2Dallas United vs. Far East UnitedCancelled

** = Dallas United vs. West Ham was suspended “pending an investigation into allegations of use or intent to use a racial slur.” Dallas was leading 2-0 at the time.

The investigation concluded that “Dallas United violated TST’s code of conduct” and that “the best path forward is Dallas United withdrawing from the competition,” according to a statement from organizers.

Organizers also subsequently cancelled Dallas United’s final match vs. Far East United.

TST Group E standings

TeamGamesWinsLossesGoals
For
Goals
Against
Goal
Diff.
1. Wrexham-Q330233+20
2. Como 1907-Q321157+8
3. Say Word FC-E312914-5
4. US Women-E303124-23
  • Q = Qualified to Round of 16
  • = Eliminated

TST Group E schedule

DateMatch
Thu, June 1US Women 0-5 Say Word FC
Thu, June 1Como 1907 2-3 Wrexham
Thu, June 1US Women 0-12 Wrexham
Thu, June 1Como 1907 6-3 Say Word FC
Fri, June 2Say Word FC 1-8 Wrexham
Fri, June 2Como 1907 7-1 US Women

TST Group F standings

TeamGamesWinsLossesGoals
For
Goals
Against
Goal
Diff.
1. Hashtag Utd-Q330138+5
2. Conrad & Beasley Utd-Q32112120
3. Nati SC-E312910-1
4. Gracie FC-E303610-4
  • Q = Qualified to Round of 16
  • = Eliminated

TST Group F schedule

DateMatch
Thu, June 1Hashtag United 4-3 Nati SC
Thu, June 1Conrad & Beasley 4-3 Gracie FC
Thu, June 1Conrad & Beasley 3-6 Hashtag United
Thu, June 1Gracie FC 1-3 Nati SC
Fri, June 2Conrad & Beasley 5-3 Nati SC
Fri, June 2Gracie FC 2-3 Hashtag United

TST Group G standings

TeamGamesWinsLossesGoals
For
Goals
Against
Goal
Diff.
1. Sneaky Fox FC-Q33093+6
2. ZALA FFF-Q312128+4
3. Jackson TN Boom-E312911-3
4. Team Dempsey-E312614-8
  • Q = Qualified to Round of 16
  • = Eliminated

TST Group G schedule

DateMatch
Thu, June 1Team Dempsey 5-4 Jackson TN Boom
Thu, June 1Sneaky Fox 3-2 ZALA FFF
Thu, June 1Sneaky Fox 3-0 Team Dempsey
Thu, June 1Jackson TN Boom 4-3 ZALA FFF
Fri, June 2Team Dempsey 1-7 ZALA FFF
Fri, June 2Jackson TN Boom 1-3 Sneaky Fox

TST Group H standings

TeamGamesWinsLossesGoals
For
Goals
Against
Goal
Diff.
1. Raleigh Rebels-Q330136+7
2. Duke Sevens-Q32178-1
3. N. Carolina FC-E312119+2
4. Charlotte FC-E303613-7
  • Q = Qualified to Round of 16
  • = Eliminated

TST Group H schedule

DateMatch
Thu, June 1Charlotte FC 3-6 North Carolina FC
Thu, June 1Duke Sevens 0-5 Raleigh Rebels
Thu, June 1Charlotte FC 2-5 Duke Sevens
Thu, June 1North Carolina FC 5-6 Raleigh Rebels
Fri, June 2Charlotte FC 1-2 Raleigh Rebels
Fri, June 2Duke Sevens 3-1 North Carolina FC

TST Knockout Stage

Round of 16

Match
No.
DateMatch
1Fri, June 2Newtown Pride (A1) vs. DMV Diplomats (B2)
2Fri, June 2Hapoel Tel Aviv (C1) vs. Far East United (D2)
3Fri, June 2Wrexham Red Dragons (E1) vs. Conrad & Beasley (F2)
4Fri, June 2Sneaky Fox FC (G1) vs. Duke Sevens (H2)
5Fri, June 2Blade & Grass FC (B1) vs. Kingdom FC (A2)
6Fri, June 2Culture by Mo Ali (D1) vs. SLC FC (C2)
7Fri, June 2Hashtag United (F1) vs. Como 1907 (E2)
8Fri, June 2Raleigh Rebels (H1) vs. Zala FF (G2)

Quarterfinals

Match
No.
DateMatch
1Sat, June 3Winner R16 No. 1 vs. Winner R16 No. 2
2Sat. June 3Winner R16 No. 3 vs. Winner R16 No. 4
3Sat. June 3Winner R16 No. 5 vs. Winner R16 No. 6
4Sat. June 3Winner R16 No. 7 vs. Winner R16 No. 8

Semifinals

DateMatch
Sat, June 3Winner QF No. 1 vs. Winner QF No. 2
Sat, June 3Winner QF No. 3 vs. Winner QF No. 4

Final

DateMatch
June 4Winner SF No. 1 vs. Winner SF No. 2