West Ham and Alkmaar fans fight, players clash with stewards after seeing families attacked

West Ham and Alkmaar fans fight each other pre-match, with players taking to clash with stewards after seeing their families attacked.

Going into this semi final second leg tie, West Ham, who are without a major trophy since 1980, won the first leg at the London Stadium 2-1.

Goals from Said Benrahma and Michail Antonio cancelled out Tijjani Reijnders’ controversial opener to earn the hots the advantage.

Both sides knew that the winner would face either Basel or Fiorentina in final in Prague on the 7th of June.

Prior to the second leg, one video showed one person being attacked by several of the hooligans, with one using an object that looks like a bike to beat the supporter on the floor.

A second video, uploaded onto Twitter, shows a large group of the hooligans congregating at the bottom of a street.

Another clip shows a large group of supporters running through the street holding what appears to be chairs.

It came after AZ Alkmaar fans set off fireworks on Wednesday night outside the West Ham team hotel in a bid to disrupt the Hammers before the clash.

Footage posted online shows that one fan was hit by a stray rocket, as people dressed in dark colours ran away.

On to the game now and the best chance of the first half saw AZ become more dangerous. Vangelis Pavlidis almost flicked it into the far corner but it trickled across the goalline.

It was kept in on the far side and Yukinari Sugawara was teed up. His shot had been deflected nervously behind for a corner.

It was however a solid performance from West Ham by half time. They were given a bit of trouble towards the end of the half but for a good half an hour, it had been very comfortable.

Lucas Paqueta smacked the post and was dangerous, while Jarrod Bowen made good runs too.

Rob Green on BBC Radio 5 Live: “It’s been wonderfully boring, it’s been a half where AZ have been contained.

“There’s nothing in behind from AZ, if the guys at the back concentrate and get it right for the next 45 minutes, they’ve got this.”

In the second half, a long ball was played over the top for Vangelis Pavlidis. He tried to wriggle away from Nayef Aguerd but the defender slid in to stop him. A risky challenge and he got away with it, with a brief VAR check confirming no penalty.

The game became more frantic, with AZ opening up as they knew they had to score. West Ham started to get more opportunities on the break.

AZ continued to go on the attack, but the ball was cleared. Michail Antonio beating a player on the right with his pace but ended up getting closed down by the centre-back. AZ went straight up the other end and Alphonse Areola had to make a good save.

With around 10 minutes left on the clock, a chipped ball was cushioned down by Thilo Kehrer at the back post with nobody near him. He tried to pass it to Alphonse Areola and almost poked it into his own goal. The goalkeeper managed to stretch a leg out desperately to stop it from going on.

GOAL – AZ Alkmaar 0-1 West Ham (Agg: 1-3)
Pablo Fornals (90+4 mins)

They have done it!!!!!!

It’s wild scenes of celebrations by West Ham and the home fans are already pouring out of the stands.

The West Ham staff are on the pitch!

Pablo Fornals skips past one player as West Ham break. He has the keeper to beat and fires it coolly into the far corner.

West Ham are heading to the final.

Neil Lennon on BBC Radio 5 Live: “What an absolute brilliant moment for David Moyes, his team and the fans.

“Pablo Fornals buries it low past Mat Ryan, what a fantastic individual goal. He just slide it under and it was enough to beat Ryan.

“I’ve never seen David Moyes look so happy as he has in this second spell at West Ham.

“This is the icing on the cake for him. What a fantastic moment for him.

“He should be so proud of his team tonight. They have handled a semi-final in the Europa Conference League brilliantly.

“It’s a real great away performance in Europe.”

Scenes turned sour however as West Ham players clashed with stewards after AZ Alkmaar fans targetted their families in the stands post-match.

Former West Ham midfielder Joe Cole to BT Sport on the trouble in the stadium: “It’s absurd. Grown men attacking the West Ham fans. Players were trying to get involved to break it up. AZ Alkmaar fans throwing punches is ridiculous. There were families. Football is for everyone. It’s ridiculous in the modern game. Pathetic.”

Former West Ham striker Carlton Cole to BT Sport: “There was no need for it. West Ham have come here, done their job and not disrespected them in any shape or form. The families of the players are over there. Sometimes emotions take hold of you.”

Former West Ham midfielder Joe Cole speaking to BT Sport: “It’s a special achievement. It’s a huge day for the club, for David Moyes the manager and for Declan Rice, a young captain who has come through the club.”

Former West Ham striker Carlton Cole: “It was a fantastic game. These travelling fans deserve it. Hopefully those fans over in Amsterdam are safe too. That’s marred it a little bit [the fan trouble at the end] but West Ham are in the final. Wow.”

West Ham boss David Moyes speaking to BT Sport: “We’re absolutely thrilled. It’s a big achievement for the club, but now it’s about going and winning it. AZ are very good at what they do, but I’m delighted we did it.

“AZ played a really good style, the Dutch football is really good. They gave us a shock in the first leg, and I knew if I didn’t set us up in a deeper block they could punish us.

“Going forward the idea is to be better. We’ve brought in a lot of international players to get better, but we’ve really struggled this season. We had to go back to what gets you wins, and thankfully we did that.”

West Ham defender Aaron Cresswell speaking to BT Sport: “The emotions are running high. With the disappointing season we’ve had in the Premier League I’m sure every fan is delighted. It’s been a long time coming for the club but let’s hope we can go one more step.

“We knew from the first leg we could keep it tight. We created some chances but couldn’t score. What a way to win it in the last minute!

“Pablo Fornals never shies away. He gives everything for the badge. I’m lost for words and I’m just so happy.

“We spoke about not getting caught up in the moment. Last year was a massive low in my career and now I can’t wait for the final.”