Watford sack their second manager of the season – replacement lined up

Watford boss Quique Sánchez Flores has been sacked after just 85 days in charge, and it seems Chris Hughton is to takeover.

It comes after the Hertfordshire outfit lost 2-1 to Southampton on Saturday and are now six points from safety in the Premier League table.

The club said: “Quique is a man of great integrity and it was clear how much he wanted to have a positive impact, but ultimately results have dictated our decision,” said Hornets’ Chairman & CEO Scott Duxbury.

“The appointment of a new Head Coach is imminent, and with nearly two-thirds of the season remaining, we will provide all the support necessary to make the coming months successful.”

Flores, who only returned to the club for a second spell in charge on the 7th of September, and has picked up just one win from 10 games.

It’s claimed that he had lost the dressing room with the players soured towards him and his tactical decisions.

He decided to put Andre Gray on instead of Troy Deeney in defeat against the Saints despite the team feeling a hold-up player was needed.

The players will report to the training ground on Sunday for recovery and is likely to be given the chance to say goodbye to the coach.

After the match, Flores said when asked about his future: “I’m not sure. I am completely apart (from) these kind of decisions.

“I am just sad because if I can’t help the team, I am sad for that, I am sad for the fans, I am sad for the players, for the owner and the future of the club, of course.”

Speaking about his players, he added: “They lost confidence. You think the game goes in the right way and finally one situation changes everything.

“One goal (conceded) for us now is a tragedy, even if we are controlling the match. It’s a tragedy.”

Fans quickly took to social media after hearing that Watford boss Quique Sánchez Flores could be set to be sacked – see what they made of it on the next page.

Like what the Fan Banter have on offer? Sign up for more EPL notifications!