VIDEO: Peterborough’s Siriki Dembele gets sent off after 30 seconds for a headbutt on Lincoln’s Joe Morrell

Peterborough United player Siriki Dembele gets sent off after 30 seconds for a headbutt on Lincoln midfielder Joe Morrell on New Years Day.

The Posh hothead, who was making his first appearance for five weeks because of a hand injury, was sent off 20 minutes from time as his side tried to get a winner, but ended up getting a red card for violent conduct after the coming together.

Peterborough were already 1-0 up following Ivan Toney’s superb finish on the 27th minute to take his goal tally to 16 this season.

The incident came just after Lincoln had equalised with a deflected shot from the edge of the area looping over Christy Pym and into the net via the underside of the crossbar.

An exceptional 90th-minute free kick form Jorge Grant however sealed Peterborough’s third straight defeat for Posh over the festive period, although they stay in sixth place. Lincoln’s much needed three points puts them 16th.

Posh boss Darren Ferguson said: “I sent Siriki on to win the game and instead he ended up losing it for us. I don’t like to publicly shame players, but what he did was incredible and indefensible.

“The referee told me Siiki put his head in the player’s face twice. He’s lost the game for us. We were never going to lose 11 v 11.

“They equalised just as I was getting Siriki ready, but I still made the change as space was opening up in the game and his pace would have been a huge threat. Instead a moment of madness has cost us. A derby game is hard enough with 11 men and I was left scratching my head. Siriki’s had a frustrating season anyway, but we needed him back and now we lose him for another three games.

“It’s been a nightmare Chrismas period for us. It’s such an important time of the season and we haven’t coped with it all.

“I felt for the players today though. They put their bodies on the line and we looked dangerous on the counter attack with Marcus Maddison.

“They haven’t hurt us at all going forward until they get a massive piece of luck with a deflected goal. They put us under pressure towards the end. We dug in, but things aren’t going for us at the moment.

“It’s important now we stick together and ride the storm.”

After watching Peterborough United player Siriki Dembele gets sent off after 30 seconds for a headbutt on Lincoln midfielder Joe Morrell on New Years Day, fans gave their reaction, some slammed Dembele and others were puzzled by the delay of Morrell going down to ground – see those tweets on the next page.