Top six favourites to become new Watford manager as club sack 14th boss since 2012

The top six favourites to become new Watford manager has been revealed as Claudio Ranieri gets sacked by the club this Monday evening.

The Italian, 70, was appointed on the 4th of October but managed only seven points from 13 Premier League games, lasting 14 games and less than four months in charge.

Last Friday’s 3-0 home defeat to Norwich saw Watford drop into the bottom three and prompted the club’s owners to take action.

It means Watford are looking for their 15th manager since the Pozzo family took over in 2012.

CLUB STATEMENT:

Watford Football Club confirms the departure of Head Coach Claudio Ranieri.

The Hornets’ Board recognises Claudio as a man of great integrity and honour, who will always be respected here at Vicarage Road for his efforts in leading the team with dignity.

However the Board feels that, with nearly half of the Premier League campaign remaining, a change in the Head Coach position now will give a new appointment sufficient time to work with a talented squad to achieve the immediate goal of retaining Premier League status.

No further club comment will be made until this new appointment is confirmed in due course.

TOP SIX FAVOURITES TO BECOME NEW WATFORD MANAGER

Fabio Cannavaro – 4/1
Roy Hodgson – 5/1
Diego Martinez – 5/1
Frank Lampard – 6/1
Paulo Fonseca – 8/1
Nuno Espirito Santo – 10/1

Twitter users reacted with the top six favourites to become new Watford manager as the club sack their 14th boss since 2012…

@craigmelson: This is on the board and players. Signing too many randomers selling people that will actually fight for you (deeney, Hughes, chalobah) and leaving the squad fundamentally weaker than what we went down with.

@WFCEdward14: This is the nicest thing we’ve ever said when sacking a gafffer lmao

@hornetsnestwfc: Why can’t we just have a nice, quiet day? Please. Just one.

@Richwfc2: Clubs a circus,disrespectful, we all hear about it via Leventhal, Burt etc , fans hear it 2nd hand on club communication, insult to the club Graham & Elton built insult to Claudio, Duxbury needs to go & Pozzo needs to finally communicate his vision or sell up,sick of this shambles

@keith_jones80: Shocking behaviour from the owner and board, I’m seeing something very similar with @Everton, a revolving door on the managers office. When will the people making these appointments take ownership for THEIR decision making

@FredrikG1995:
”to work with a talented squad”
Which squad is it about? Because it’s not ours. Realize the facts someday. You (The board) are responsible for this failure. Again.

@Martin__Moore: By 2032, experts predict at least 80% of the worlds population will have managed Watford.

@peterbarnes007: Anyone seen our CEO? Seems to have been missing since he gave us a load of old flannel on his last public outing. At what point do the board and owners start taking responsibility for the mess they have put OUR club in?

@JigglyJoao: sack duxbury

@ytfcaj00: 3 1/2 months is very impressive for a Watford manager tbf. Shouldnt have sacked Xisco tho.

@Mr_Alan_Wright: Not his fault… Blame the players and the club’s poor recruitment process

@TylerGullin: We are a joke of a club how can we expect to make improvements when tactics are changing 24/7 with a new manager every few months!

@Tristan25: Why doesn’t the board take a look at their own strategy and internal processes surrounding recruitment, whilst also having a review of the players who continually fail to perform yet get rewarded with contract renewals? It wasn’t all that long ago that Scott came out publicly and said they work on 2-year head coach cycles, we struggle to give them 2 months?! Where do we start with the playing staff? Danny Rose given a 2-year deal when I think the evidence was there that he has personal issues and has been mooted he can be a bad egg. Ken Sema gets another long contract extension when clearly isn’t of PL quality. You just have to watch the games to see.

@iam_wilsons: Announce Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

@swedishhornets: Thank you Ranieri for the United & Everton games. You got us playing but for whatever reason, the players let you down. You weren’t helped by a poor defence, a tough row of games when you joined & AFCON. Sarr’s injury didn’t help either. You’re an honourable gentleman.

@bradleythom: We make 3 new signings with no Premier league experience to ‘strengthen’ our squad which already lacks that experience. Then Ranieri who has had no say in signing any of those players, starts all 3 and as expected are all miles off the pace. The recruitment has been all wrong.

@CharlieH29: We are beyond fed up with this revolving door policy. Look at the circumstances. COVID. A woeful inherited defence which couldn’t be fixed till the transfer window. OK, awful game Friday with 3 new debutants but no time to gel. Now what?

@CharlieMarlow07: Duxbury and the Pozzos need to address the way this club is run. No project , no philosophy just hire the cheapest option… sign old players on big contacts because they ‘used’ to be alright. Get a manager in who has a style… allow them the TIME to implement it and sell the SHIT