Sky reveal their new midweek Soccer Special panel for the 2020/21 season

Sky Sports reveal their new midweek Soccer Special panel for the 2020/21 season, and it could be the permanent lineup according to reports.

It was last month that it was confirmed of Sky’s decision not to renew the contracts of Matt Le Tissier, Charlie Nicholas, and Phil Thompson along with Scott Minto.

The news of that got a divided reaction on social media, with thousands tweeting in about the matter, some disappointed of losing their favourites and other pleased to see them go.

The Athletic state that presenter Jeff Stelling, who was left rather disappointed by the exits of his colleagues, will be joined by former Premier League managers Tony Pulis and Tim Sherwood for the very first episode of this season’s Soccer Saturday.

The report also stated that Glen Johnson, Clinton Morrison and regular Paul Merson will also be in the studio for the weekend programmes, while Chris Kamara will remain reporting from one ground on one particular matches like the other Sky reporters.

The midweek specials will be presented by Julian Warren and Jeff Stelling, and they will be joined by plenty of new guests including Glenn Murray, Adebayo Akinfenwa, Kevin Phillips, Lee Hendrie on the panel.

Last weekend’s lineup is not indicative of what the broadcaster plans for the future though because Sky are not expected to have a permanent line up just yet, instead they are said to be auditioning a few people and seeing what works and will no doubt see who is and isn’t a hit with fans on social media.

They’re set to rotate the pundits on a weekly basis with the likes of Robbie Fowler, Joleon Lescott, Matt Murray and Glenn Murray, with many others, all expected to feature in the coming weeks.

With regards to the decision to let the Le Tissier, Thompson, and Nicholas go, Sky released a statement which said: “We are changing some parts of our football coverage – Matt, Charlie and Phil have done a great job for us over the years, and they will leave us with our sincere thanks and very best wishes.”

At least a few of them seem to be looking forward to a new project, which has been kept quiet, for now it seems anyway.

Writing in his column in The Mail, Chris Kamara said that he’s “gutted” not to be working with the trio again.

He said: “Obviously, I’m gutted, absolutely gutted. And I know they are. I’ve spoken to Thommo and Charlie and I’ve text Le Tiss… we were such a good team and it was all going well.

“Decisions were made, we don’t have any say in those. Whoever made (them) has done it and the boys accept it. I can honestly say they are the best fellas you could ever wish to meet. They are top-drawer and it’s been a great time to have worked with them over the past 15 years or so.

“We’ve already talked about meeting up and having a night out together, reminiscing about all the good and funny stuff we’ve gone through. We’ll just get together and go for a meal – I hope that happens… I know Jeff, Thommo and Charlie definitely want to make sure it happens.”

Soccer Saturday returned to our TV screens and devices last weekend with the panel covering and discussing – Fulham vs Arsenal, Crystal Palace vs Southampton, Liverpool vs Leeds, and West Ham vs Newcastle – while there are four more games on Sunday and Monday too.

There was also a new line-up on pundits on the midweek special on Sky Sports, reporting on selected Carabao Cup Second Round ties.

Fans reacted as Sky reveal their new midweek Soccer Special panel for the 2020/21 season…