fbpx
Connect with us

Championship

Sheffield Wednesday sack their manager Tony Pulis after 10 games in charge

Sheffield Wednesday have surprised their fans late on Monday night, by choosing to sack their manager after 10 games in charge.

Pulis had only joined Wednesday in November but had to wait until 19 December to record his first victory and a statement on Monday night confirmed that the 62-year-old has left his post with immediate effect.

The club currently sit in the relegation zone of the Championship table, three points from safety after 21 games played.

CLUB STATEMENT:

Sheffield Wednesday have terminated the contract of manager Tony Pulis with immediate effect.

Pulis joined the Owls in November and posted one win from 10 league games.

Chairman Dejphon Chansiri told swfc.co.uk: “The performances and results have not been of the level expected since Tony Pulis was appointed. There are also other issues which have had a bearing on this decision.

“On the pitch, seven points from a possible 30 is not acceptable. It is vital we maintain our Championship status and I feel I must make a change now with over half of the season remaining to give us the best possible chance of doing so.”

First team coach Neil Thompson will take charge of the team for Tuesday’s game against Middlesbrough and until a permanent appointment is made.

The club will be making no further comment at this time.

– STATEMENT ENDS –

His last game in charge was the 1-1 draw away to Blackburn Rovers on Boxing Day and was set to face Middlesbrough on Tuesday.

Blackburn’s Tony Mowbray: “For me, we handed it to him (Reach) on a plate really didn’t we? It wasn’t dangerous, it wasn’t an attack as such, it was miscommunication between defenders who should have been in control. In their defence, it hasn’t been a very consistent backline. Bradley Johnson played centre-half last week. It’s not easy to be out two to three weeks and come back into the intensity with a manager on the sidelines trying to drive you.

“It’s not as if we have had weeks and weeks of working on our back four because they haven’t been fit. Daniel (Ayala) was thrown in again having been injured on crutches a week ago. I don’t want to be too harsh on them. It’s not as if we’ve conceded loads of chances and the keeper is making save after save. And yet they are all tight games. We have not been as clinical as early season and teams have been more defensive-minded against us.”

Sheffield Wednesday’s Tony Pulis: “Ever since I’ve come into the football club, the players have been giving everything they’ve got. They worked really hard today against a good Blackburn team, who’ve got good players and are always a threat. They play very open and expansive.

“Overall, you would have taken a point before the game. But then, that’s the fifth time this year, and I’ve only been here 10 games, where we’ve been winning and not seen it out, which is a real concern in lots of ways. We’ve had chances at the other end to make it two, and that finishes the game.”

MANAGERS SINCE 2010:

13/11/2020 – 30/06/2021 : Tony Pulis
06/09/2019 – 10/11/2020 : Garry Monk
15/07/2019 – 05/09/2019 : Lee Bullen
01/02/2019 – 14/07/2019 : Steve Bruce
22/12/2018 – 31/01/2019 : Lee Bullen
08/01/2018 – 21/12/2018 : Jos Luhukay
25/12/2017 – 07/01/2018 : Lee Bullen
01/07/2015 – 24/12/2017 : Carlos Carvalhal
01/12/2013 – 30/06/2015 : Stuart Gray
02/03/2012 – 30/11/2013 : Dave Jones
04/02/2011 – 29/02/2012 : Gary Megson
08/01/2010 – 03/02/2011 : Alan Irvine
06/11/2006 – 07/01/2010 : Brian Laws

Fans reacted after seeing that Sheffield Wednesday sack their manager Tony Pulis after 10 games in charge…

@GrantR_1867: Can’t be arsed with this club

@LeedsEverywhere: Already?!. Sheff Weds have more managers than Sheff United have points this season!

@Danjk1984: Pulis maintains his career long achievement of having never been relegated.

@Brownie89: Hahahahahahaha giving derby County a run for banter club of the year

@TW1993: This is clear evidence that chansiri needs to piss off now

@jamiefellows17: Clearly Pulis has told Chansiri that’s he’s running the club like a shitshow, and we needed 7 players.

@adamtmilner: Chansiri needs to go.

@JoeMattison_: Thats it. That seals the deal. Im no longer a Sheffield Wednesday fan. Ive been a Sheffield Wednesday fan since 1989. I will no longer watch on TV or renew my season tickets. I’m taking my fanhood to Leeds United where they actually know how to run a football team

@ForeverAYellow: Sheffield Wednesday sack their manager yet again?! Joke of a club

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

More in Championship