Patrick Bamford makes sly dig at Man City with 15-word reply

Leeds United’s Patrick Bamford makes a sly dig at upcoming opposition Man City with a 15-word reply in an interview with Jermaine Beckford.

The 27 year old Grantham born Whites player has joked about Pep Guardiola’s side who face Leeds at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday lunchtime.

Marcelo Bielsa’s side have already secured 42 points, taking them to 11th in the Premier League table, with the West Yorkshire outfit looking to end the season strongly to finish as high up the table as they can.

Man City have transformed their season, going from a poor start to absolutely dominating  and are still competing to win silverware in all four competitions, so they’ll be hoping to edge a step closer to the league title if they win this weekend.

It’s worth noting the teams played out a 1-1 draw in the reverse fixture at Elland Road back in October 2020.

Ex-Leeds player turned pundit Jermaine Beckford has highlighted the fact that Man City’s weekend fixture comes in the middle of a big Champions League quarter-final tie, suggesting games may need to be prioritised.

Dortmund were minutes away from a draw in first leg after Marco Reus equalised Kevin De Bruyne’s opener; Phil Foden capped a fantastic display with a late winner as Man City take a slim advantage into second leg.

But Leeds forward Bamford has joked that their upcoming opponent has more than enough firepower in their squad to cope.

“[Manchester City] are playing Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League, and in-between that they’ve got us… It’ll be interesting to see what he (Guardiola) thinks and how he approaches the game,” Beckford said.

Bamford replied: “It’s a good job he hasn’t got £200million worth of players in reserve, isn’t it?”

The Boot Room state: “Man City operate on a different level financially to most clubs in the world, and it’s an embarrassment of riches they possess in their squad.

“They put out an extremely strong XI against Dortmund, but that still meant leaving the likes of Raheem Sterling, Aymeric Laporte, Sergio Aguero, Fernandinho and Gabriel Jesus on the bench.

“Leeds know whoever takes to the field for Man City on Saturday will make it extremely difficult for them, but the Yorkshire club can have a real free swing at it with their eye-catching brand of football.”

Leeds United were recently forced to delete a savage 6-word tweet of theirs as Phil Jagielka scored an own goal to hand three points to the Whites.

It could have been more comfortable for Marcelo Bielsa’s side as they wasted several good chances against Sheffield United, registering 21 shots across last weekend.

But scored only a single goal themselves through Jack Harrison’s 12th-minute tap-in after good link-up play from Raphinha.

Just a few minutes into the second half, Harrison’s whipped ball across the six-yard box was met by Sheffield-born Jagielka who put it in his own net.

Leeds couldn’t help but do a little bit of mocking, as they often do on their Twitter account through the course of the current campaign.

Phil Jagielka was next to be targetted by the club however removed it due to a backlash from Sheffield United fans, who thought it was insensitive to mock the player especially considering he had recently lost his brother.

Patrick Bamford recently hit back at Aston Villa fans over an embarrassing viral video which was seen by millions of viewers in April 2019.

The 27 year old Leeds United striker says he still get trolled over his “stupid dive” against the West Midlands outfit which saw him punished.

Bamford had to serve a retrospective two-match ban following the incident in the highly controversial 1-1 draw at Elland Road in the 2018/19 season.

He dramatically went down holding his face during a melee between the two set of players in the Championship fixture, not realizing how obvious and pathetic he looked.

He dramatically went down holding his face during a melee between the two set of players in the Championship fixture, not realizing how obvious and pathetic he looked .

“I maintain he touched me but I milked it and made a stupid deal of it. I wouldn’t do it again and it’s something I have…

Posted by Football League Fan Banter on Tuesday, 16 July 2019

Villa’s Anwar El Ghazi was also sent off as a result, leaving fans fuming at the time of the incident before the player had his red card overturned on appeal.

Asked about the recent history between the teams, Bamford told the Official Leeds United Podcast: “I don’t know, it seems like over at least the last couple of seasons, we’ve almost become rivals with Villa, and I don’t know why.

“I think maybe the fact that there was that whole thing where I did that stupid dive and we had to give them a goal, and that kind of kicked it off, or what?

“That was one game – surely you let go of that? That happened ages ago.

“I still get sent flipping GIFS or memes of me falling on the floor from that game.

“I’m like: ‘Come on, let it go. I’ve said sorry’.”