Connect with us


Non league player ‘lucky to be alive’ after 11,000 volt electric shock

A non league player says he’s ‘lucky to be alive’ after getting an 11,000 volt electric shock which came in an accident at work.

31 year old shot-stopper Jon Stewart, now plying his trade at Matlock Town, has opened up on how the incident very nearly ended not just his career but his life too.

The experienced former Boston United and Gainsborough Trinity keeper had 11,000 volts shot through his body, and it really is a miracle he’s still standing.

He told Matlock Town’s official website: “I was at work and on a windy and rainy day I was electrocuted as 11,000 volts went through my body.

“The doctors said they couldn’t believe I was still here, nor could my family.

“I was in hospital for just under a week and had to take things easy for a good while after that.

“Again the club stood by me from day one which I’ll never forget.”

The accident happened back in February, before the season was halted, and seven months after Jon signed for the Gladiators.

He’s currently out of action, after sustaining a knee injury during a friendly match against Sheffield FC at the beginning of September.

Matlock Town manager Paul Phillips rolled back the years as a stand-in goalkeeper for that Tuesday night clash.

A goalkeeper during his playing days, Phillips, 41, stepped up to keep a clean sheet and while he has no plans to make his return to the pitch a permanent one, the exercise proved useful in learning more about his side.

He has also predicted that Jon could be out of action for as long as ten weeks.

Paul said: “I’ll probably feel a bit worse for wear in the morning. But I got the chance to look at the team’s shape from another angle than the dug out.

“We looked solid as a unit with Yatesy and Ryan Qualter in there. But I want the big fella (Stewart) to play week in, week out, unfortunately that’s not going to happen yet.

“He’s the best goalkeeper in the league, we missed him for a long time last season with what happened to him, he’s come back but now he’s picked up this injury.

“We think he’ll be out for six to ten weeks so we’ve got to get out with our begging bowl to the pro clubs and see if we can get someone who’ll come in and do the business.”

He may be out, but because of this, he can benefit from the chance to spend precious time with his newborn son.

It was in November 2019 that the goalkeeper received a banned from playing for a month after breaching FA betting rules.

Three months of the sentence were suspended for two years from December 21, 2019. The hearing at Wembley heard that the keeper was unaware that he was contravening any rules by placing very minor amounts on matches across many footballing countries between October 2015 and April 2019 and that he had closed his account.

None of the bets were placed on his own club during his time with the Northern Premier League outfit.

Two months later Jon and fellow teammates were left devastated by the death of team member Jordan Sinnott who was assaulted on a night out in Retford.

Jordan’s two attackers have since beeing jailed for manslaughter at Nottingham Crown Court in July.

Jon’s career started at senior level in Weymouth in 2007, before going no to make four first-team appearances for Bournemouth in a career which has included spells at Alfreton Town, Worksop Town, Bradford Park Avenue, Shaw Lane.

Fans reacted after seeing that the non league player is ‘lucky to be alive’ after 11,000 volt electric shock…

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Uncategorized