Arsenal

Mark Lawrenson’s Premier League predictions – 6 November

Mark Lawrenson’s Premier League predictions are revealed as we look forward to what will be another busy weekend of top-flight football.

The former Preston, Brighton, Liverpool and Ireland footballer, turned Oxford and Peterborough manager, now a BBC Sport ‘football expert’, has given his verdict on who might spring a surprise.

Lawro will make predictions for all 380 top-flight matches this season, so take a look at what he had to say for this batch…

Brighton v Burnley

Brighton have not been playing badly but have not won for quite a while now.

Things are even worse for Burnley, who are bottom with only one point from six games so far. Like the Seagulls, they will feel a bit hard done by because some of their performances have deserved more of a reward.

I am going for a Brighton win here, but I am not confident about that because I know what Burnley are like and how quickly they can turn things around.

They have been on poor runs under Sean Dyche before and sometimes they just go ‘bang’ and suddenly look like a different and much-improved team – because of their manager as much as anything else.

Lawro’s prediction: 2-1

Southampton v Newcastle

Southampton striker Danny Ings is out for up to six weeks with a knee injury, which is a massive blow. One player does not make a team, but everything Saints do really does revolve around him.

I don’t think their manager, Ralph Hassenhuttl, will change his system on Friday but it will be a lot less effective without Ings because he sniffs goals out for fun.

I don’t see Newcastle creating much at St Mary’s, but Steve Bruce will set them up to make things difficult for Southampton and, in Callum Wilson, the Magpies have their own in-form striker who can nick them a goal.

Lawro’s prediction: 1-1

Everton v Man Utd

Everton have now only picked up one point from their past three games but they should have James Rodriguez back from injury for this one.

That will be a huge boost because Rodriguez will make a big difference. I would not give Jordan Pickford a recall in goal, though, because Robin Olsen did well against Newcastle last weekend.

Manchester United have had a bad week. They didn’t land a glove on Arsenal when they lost to the Gunners at Old Trafford last Sunday and put in another poor performance in their Champions League defeat in Turkey on Wednesday.

With his diamond shape in midfield, it feels like United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is trying to shoehorn all sorts of different players into a formation that quite a lot of them don’t want to play in. Paul Pogba on the left does not really work, for example.

But having said all that, it would be just like United to go to Goodison Park and win, and not just because they are on a run of six straight away league victories.

It is exactly the sort of result Solskjaer has come up with before when he has been under pressure, but I think he will have to settle for a point this time.

Lawro’s prediction: 1-1

Crystal Palace v Leeds

Crystal Palace have had the fewest shots of any team in the Premier League, with 57 in seven games, while only Liverpool have had more than Leeds with 96.

They both have the same number of points though – 10 – so you can see that, while they have a different approach, they both have a style that is effective.

It will be interesting to see what Eagles boss Roy Hodgson does here – will he completely allow Leeds to take the game to his side and then look to pick them off?

That is what Palace did against Fulham last week but Leeds are a lot more dangerous.

Lawro’s prediction: 1-2

Chelsea v Sheff Utd

Sheffield United just can’t score goals. Since beating Chelsea 3-0 in July, they have only managed four in 10 league games – and two of those were penalties.

They have picked up only one point in that spell, when their performances haven’t actually been that bad – so it is obvious where their problems lie.

In contrast, Chelsea have scored 10 goals in their past three games and have not conceded in any of their past five. That is all very impressive, but I am still not wholly convinced.

They should win on Saturday, but I am waiting for them to crack again.

Lawro’s prediction: 2-0

West Ham v Fulham

West Ham were decent in defeat against Liverpool last time out but nothing short of a win will do for the Hammers here.

Fulham got their first league win of the season on Monday, but West Ham are a totally different proposition to West Brom – or at least they should be.

Lawro’s prediction: 2-0

West Brom v Tottenham

Tottenham beat Brighton last week despite not being totally convincing, but I don’t mind that. They are getting better as a team and, while they are doing that, they are getting positive results as well.

It is a different story with West Brom. They will need 36 points or so to stay up, but at the moment I don’t know where they are going to get them from with what they have got.

The Baggies have had their moments in games, but they only seem to last 20 or 30 minutes and that is not enough to see them through.

Lawro’s prediction: 0-2

Leicester v Wolves

Both teams are playing so well that it is hard to decide either way.

I’ve gone with Leicester, but I could make a case for either side to come out on top.

Lawro’s prediction: 2-1

Man City v Liverpool

Liverpool boss Klopp has got decisions to make in defence and attack.

Up front, I am a big fan of Roberto Firmino and what he does for the team but Diogo Jota has got the same work ethic and is scoring goals too – he is on fire at the moment.

At the back, if Joel Matip is fit I would pair him with Joe Gomez. Nathaniel Phillips and Rhys Williams have done well – against West Ham and Atalanta respectively – but this is a very different game, with far more pressure involved and against a much better side.

Whoever Klopp goes with, it is not a good time for them to be going to the Etihad while they are trying to build a new partnership because any mistake they make will be pounced upon.

That’s why I am going for City to win. Liverpool are going into this round of fixtures on top of the table so there is no suggestion they are struggling – it is just they are not at their very best at the moment.

They are going to lose games and the title race is going to be tighter than last year, I have no doubts about that.

Liverpool will still cause City problems on Sunday too, though. Aymeric Laporte and Ruben Dias have looked solid at the back so far, but they haven’t been properly tested yet.

That will happen here – and it not just about the two centre-backs, it is the whole back four who get a workout when you play Liverpool. They come at you from all angles and if there is a weakness, they sniff it out.

Lawro’s prediction: 2-0

Arsenal v Aston Villa

I was very impressed by Arsenal at Old Trafford last weekend. They fully deserved their win and Thomas Partey already looks a force in midfield.

After a good result like that, the Gunners need to push on and show they have eradicated the defensive mistakes that have cost them in the past. If they can stop them, then they will be right up there at the top of the table.

Yes, Arsenal can still improve their creativity, but manager Mikel Arteta is right to try to make them more solid first.

Aston Villa have leaked a few goals in the past couple of weeks and I would be surprised if they manage a clean sheet here.

Lawro’s prediction: 2-0

How many of these do you think he’ll get right? Let us know your thoughts and maybe your own predictions in the comments below!

More in Arsenal