Luton fans amused by ‘arrogant’ Newcastle fan left ‘rattled’ and ‘salty’ after 4-4 draw

Luton Town fans have been left amused by an ‘arrogant’ Newcastle fan who was left ‘rattled’ and ‘salty’ after Saturday’s 4-4 draw.

Newcastle and Luton played out the 8 goal thriller at St James’ Park; with hosts having to come from two goals down, and Harvey Barnes levelling on his first appearance since September, but his side couldn’t find a winner in what was a Premier League classic.

A video soon emerged on social media, with a Magpies fan giving his reaction to the result, but clearly wasn’t happy with the amount they conceded against Luton.

The Newcastle fan in the video said: “I cannot be positive in scoring four and not winning and conceding four. Obviously not winning. Conceding four at home to Luton Town Football Club. Are you having a laugh with me? Howay.

“I’m trying my best not to lose the plot, because I don’t want to lose the plot. We’ve got a draw. We haven’t got beat. We’re 4-2 down at one point. But Howay man, please. You cannot. You serious? Cannot be conceding four bloody goals to Luton Town.”

Player ratings (as per Sky Sports)

Newcastle: Dubravka (5), Trippier (8), Schar (6), Botman (6), Burn (4), Bruno (8), Longstaff (8), Miley (7), Murphy (6), Almiron (5), Gordon (7).

Subs: Wilson (6), Barnes (8), Livramento (7).

Luton: Kaminski (5), Bell (6), Mengi (6), Osho (7), Doughty (7), Lokonga (8), Barkley (9), Ogbene (8), Clark (7), Morris (8), Adebayo (8).

Subs: Mpanzu (6), Brown (6), Burke (6), Woodrow (6).

Player of the match: Ross Barkley

7′ Sean Longstaff scores
21′ Gabriel Osho scores
23′ Sean Longstaff scores
40′ Ross Barkley scores
46′ Callum Wilson replaced Anthony Gordon
56′ Dan Burn cautioned
57′ Carlton Morris scores (pen)
60′ Albert Sambi Lokonga cautioned
62′ Elijah Adebayo scores
64′ Harvey Barnes replaced Miguel Almiron
64′ Valentino Livramento replaced Dan Burn
67′ Kieran Trippier scores
68′ Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu replaced Jordan Clark
73′ Harvey Barnes scores
76′ Jacob Murphy cautioned
79′ Jacob Brown replaced Carlton Morris
79′ Reece Burke replaced Alfie Doughty
88′ Cauley Woodrow replaced Elijah Adebayo
90′ Gabriel Osho cautioned

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe speaking to BBC Match of the Day: “I think it was a game that had, for the neutral, everything. For any supporter of a respective team, some good bits and not so good bits. There are some things for us to work on.

“There are a lot of thoughts but you need the coolness of mind to watch it back and improve.”

On coming back from 4-2 down: “I think that is the big positive from today, we haven’t done that enough this season. I thought we did it really well. I think we became a bit desperate in our desire to score. I think we were good attacking-wise and really fluent in that regard.”

On Harvey Barnes and Callum Wilson coming off the bench: “Our bench made a difference. We needed them because Anthony [Gordon] got injured in the first half. I think both players contributed greatly.”

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe: “It was a strange game really. So much to look back on and reflect on. We are disappointed to have not grown stronger in the game. Credit to Luton on how they got back into the game. And then we had to do that as well.”

On conceding four goals: “The first one is a set play and another is a penalty. We made some poor decisions defensively. When we went 1-0 up I don’t think we handled it well until they equalised. I wanted us to grab control of the game but we didn’t. That’s the frustrating thing. In that moment we had a lack of confidence and then a real credit to the players for coming back because it is not easy to do. We scored some great goals and could have won it.”

On Harvey Barnes’ goalscoring return: “An incredible finish from Harvey on his left foot. That was a valuable one for us today.”

On Anthony Gordon’s injury: “I think he twisted his ankle. He is in a protective boot and the physios are doing the right thing.”

Luton Town manager Rob Edwards: “It is very mixed. I am very proud and pleased with the performance. We were brave. They came back quickly and the way we stayed composed and didn’t go under [was pleasing]. That could have happened in this cauldron of an atmosphere. We even had a chance to win it at the end. It was an even game, and a great game.”

On Luton’s style of play: “I have said to the players, this is the best way for us to get results. The players have really bought in. We have been this way before, but it suits who we are and what we are. It suits the whole football club to be honest. It gives us more threat and upsets the flow of the opposition.”

On conceding four goals: “I think when you look at their goals there were some things we could have done. You just need to see certain moments out. Some of the actions for their goals we could have done better at. They will be doing the same as well. There are always areas to improve. We are human beings and we make mistakes and we will always make mistakes.”

Luton midfielder Ross Barkley speaking to BBC Match of the Day: “We knew what we were going to come up against. Newcastle are a top side, great on the transition and the counter. They played well, we played well. It was a bit of a basketball game. But it was an entertaining game and a good one to be a part of.

“It’s always nice to score a goal, especially here at St. James’ Park. Newcastle are a great club with great fans and it is nice to get a goal here today and get the point.

“We are all proud of each other. We have played three games this week and every one has been positive. We have got that never-say-die attitude and that comes from the manager and the staff.

“I think teams might be really surprised at how good we are now.”

Newcastle United winger Harvey Barnes speaking to BBC Match of the Day: “It was a mad game. Watching on for the first 60 minutes I was trying to figure out how I could impact it when I came on. But it was so unpredictable. We are disappointed that we didn’t win. When we were ahead you want to extend that lead and keep the lead.”

How were you feeling about coming on? “Excited really. I have been out for a long time and it has been a tough period for me. I have got a bit of making up to do. Making up for lost time. I just wanted to come on and make an impact ad I didn’t but it wasn’t enough to win the game. But it is great being back out there.

“There will be a little bit of rust for a little bit but that goal will give me the world of confidence going forward and hopefully I can build on that and the team can build on that. There are still a lot of positives to take.”

On Newcastle’s form: “I think we are getting there. We are starting to get back to our best. There are definitely improvements and the week-to-week games will give us a chance to work on that on the training pitch. We are going to have more coming back fit and there is a really good chance for us to have a string finish to the season. “We want to be pushing as much as we can towards those top spots. We know we are capable of having a good run so we will keep pushing.”

As mentioned, Luton fans were amused by an ‘arrogant’ Newcastle fan left ‘rattled’ and ‘salty’ after the 4-4 draw…

@lutonbadger: Jesus man just listen to yourself. It’s the premier league and we are here on merit, you have only got 1 point out of 6 from us, after a shaky start to the season we are proving we can compete with most teams, wipe away the tears.

@PaulSparks1964: #TeamsLikeLuton ?

@PhilHatter: 🔔🔚 an absolute belter of a game from both teams.

@tweetertucker: I actually make it 5-4 on aggregate

@mutleyltfc: Mate. Lost to us away and allowed Wood to score a hattrick, allowing him to look like Ronaldo, for a team *below* us, against you… It’s a fair result. Just give us some credit. Some are catching up, don’t keep embarrassing yourself.

@Ironman_LTFC: #TeamsLikeLuton klaxon 😂

@GrazVegas80: Haha! We put 4 past Brighton, who are above Newcastle in the league, and Newcastle have only taken 1 point out a 6 off us this season, we’ve not put 5 goals past them this season by sheer luck! That sense of entitlement to win against #teamslikeluton

@jones_c70333: thanks for the 4 points

@dannybd85: Self entitlement snobbery at its finest! Thanks for the 4 points, all our squad cost a fraction of yours and we matched you 🤫🤫🤫🤫

@Futures_Orange: Pissed up melt me thinks

@Rob3285410: Luton deserve great credit, not just for today but the way they have took to life in the PL as a whole. Just proves you don’t aways have to have the best players to get results, spirit & togetherness is a great ingredient to.

@tallbloke_1967: Thanks for the 4 points this season chap. #teamslikeluton 🧡⚽️🧡

@teamslikeLuton: It’s always the youtubers who know fuck all about football, most Toon fans have been absolutely sound. Don’t worry @LutonTown have heard this from @SkyBetLeagueOne to the @premierleague and we don’t give a fuck, we bloody your nose, make you cry and end up making you respect us, when we “return the following year” and are better again. 🫡

@MickRobertson56: Mate you couldn’t beat us wake up

@yvonnekelly: No one likes a salty bitch!!!

@Poults93: #teamslikeluton Howay man 🥱

@LTFC_Dave: His head must have gone when we won the reverse game

@ollie1885_: I love it 🧡 The premier league needs us

@sezkez_: tbf every fan base has a few muppets. Coming out of the ground most of their fans were complimentary

@BedfordHatter: What a clown 🤡 🤣

@AndrewT42692581: H’way man. Throw that jacket in the bin or give it back your to mum. Put that camera down and go have a beer with your mates/find some mates. It’s a Saturday night kidda.

@OtisRedn: Not laughing with him just laughing at him. Perennial loser club NUFC! yo-yo club no 1

@Llewcalon: Newcastle fan showing their arrogance. @LutonTown are a fucking great club who play with heart and belief. They may be small, but they are mighty. The Premier League doesn’t deserve Luton Town. @Coventry_City fans like me back you 100%. Show them rich fucks what for! #PUSB #LTFC

@Wearethehatters: Dry your eyes 👀 😂

@NathOdell: The entitlement from a team who haven’t won fuck all for 60 years.

@CAMBSHATTER: Wait until someone tells the 🔔 end we beat them at home 😂🤣 #teamslikeluton

@WilmottStephen: Who the fukin he’ll are you. You don’t have the god given right to win games just because you have big support and stadium. Remember bonny lad 11 against 11 played on grass not on paper.