Connect with us

English Football League

Looking back at Manchester City’s now defunct former home Maine Road

Next up in our look at former homes of football clubs, it’s Maine Road (aka Wembley of the North) of Manchester City.

The club played there between 1923 and 2003, hosting semi-finals of the FA Cup, Charity Shield matches, a League Cup final and England matches throughout it’s existence.

Before then City played at Hyde Road but after a stand got damaged in a fire plus no room for expansion, they had to move.

The first game at Maine Road took place August 1923 in a match which saw Manchester City beat Sheffield United 2-1 and had an attendance of 58,159.

The record attendance was set in 1934 when 84,569 fans attended an FA Cup match between City and Stoke. It is said that supporters queued for four hours before kick off.

Shortly after the Second World War, Manchester City shared Maine Road with rivals Manchester United after Old Trafford was damaged in an air-raid.

From the 1950s until the 1980s, changed were made at the ground, some of which included floodlights, the main stand got redeveloped and construction of the North stand.


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by 433 Formation (@433formation) on

The 1990s saw the club follow the Taylor Report requirements by having to make the ground an all-seater, seeing two new stands built.

There were plans for further redevelopments however that didn’t go ahead after City were relegated in 1996.


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Darren Page (@pagiemcfc) on

The club decided to move away from Maine Road after the City of Manchester Stadium became available after the 2002 Commonwealth Games.

The last match at the ground was played on the 11th of May 2003 which saw 34,957 attend City’s 1-0 loss against visitors Southampton. Tickets for the game were upwards of £250 and after the game, there were performances by musicians Badly Drawn Boy and Doves.


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by MCFC Dubai Blues (@mcfcdubai) on

The last ever Manchester City goal at the stadium was scored by Marc-Vivien Foe, who 45 days later passed away from an undetected heart condition whilst playing for Cameroon in the Confederations Cup.

There were proposals for other teams to use the stadium following City’s relocation with Stockport County expressing an interest and in December 2000, Sale Sharks was offered a lease for the stadium. None however came into fruition.

The stadium was demolished in late 2003 and eventually turned into housing development.


For more classic photos and many memories of the ground from supporters, click onto the next page.


Pages: 1 2

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in English Football League