Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher name their picks for 22/23 Premier League relegation

Sky Sports pundits Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher name their picks for 22/23 Premier League relegation as the season gets underway.

Fulham and Bournemouth were promoted automatically from the Championship last season while Nottingham Forest won the playoffs, and the three teams coming up are usually firm favourites to go straight back down.

Former Man Utd defender Neville suspects the three promoted clubs could all go back down but he is also worried for Brentford and Leeds.

Speaking on The Overlap, Neville said: “All three [promoted clubs] could go down. We’re getting to a point now whereby the parachute clubs [relegated the season before] are coming back up and the ones who came up [the season prior] are going down.

“It’s getting more predictable every year. I know the Premier League try and tell you a different story. It used to be one in three [were relegated], but it’s a lot higher now. Nottingham Forest – they’ve not been there [the Premier League] for a long time.

“I always think when a club comes up from the Championship, it’s an entire event to win a Premier League game. You’ll see that with Brentford last year. Every time they won a game it was a monumental occasion, because it’s a relief.

“It’s been like that for Burnley the last seven or eight years until they went down. Every time they [Burnley] won a game it’s like an unbelievable feeling. I just feel it’s getting harder and harder.”

Jamie Carragher meanwhile expressed concern that Brentford – who lost Christian Eriksen on a free transfer to Manchester United this summer – could struggle this season.

He said: “I think they had a run at the second half of last season where they went 10 or 12 games without winning – that can happen when you come up.

“I think [Christian] Eriksen coming in just changed that. I hope I’m wrong because I’ve loved them in the Premier League, but that Sheffield United thing just keeps coming into my head with Brentford.”

Sheffield United finished ninth in their first season back in the top tier, following promotion in May 2019, but a disastrous campaign the year after saw them finish bottom.

Settling on his final prediction, Carragher added: “So, Bournemouth, Brentford and I’ve said I want Forest to stay up and I think in terms of Marco Silva. I think he’ll make it difficult for teams… I’m going to go – even though I don’t want them to go down – I think Fulham might stay up and it’ll be Forest, Bournemouth and Brentford.”

Neville added: “I’m going to go with the three that came up going straight back down. The reason I say that is the inequality in terms of the actual money, is pushing it more that way [down] all the time.”

As Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher name their picks for 22/23 Premier League relegation, this is what the bookies Sky Bet are saying…

Bournemouth – 4/9
Nottingham Forest – 5/4
Fulham – 11/8
Leeds – 9/4
Southampton – 9/4
Brentford – 5/2
Everton -10/3
Wolves – 4/1
Crystal Palace – 6/1
Brighton – 9/1
Leicester – 11/1
Aston Villa – 16/1
West Ham – 18/1
Newcastle – 33/1
Arsenal – 250/1
Manchester Utd – 250/1
Chelsea – 750/1
Tottenham – 750/1
Liverpool – 2000/1
Manchester City – 2000/1

FAN REACTION

@imsalman1411:
🏆 The Champion: Liverpool
💥 Top four: Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Utd
✨ The best player: Luis Diaz
⚽️ The top scorer: Salah
🎯 The most assists: De Bruyne
💫 The revelation player: Scamacca
😔 The 3 relegated clubs: Bournemouth, Leeds, Southampton

@JohnathonHanley:
🏆 The Champion: City
💥 Top four: City, Pool, Spurs, Chelsea
✨ The best player: KDB
⚽️ The top scorer: Salah
🎯 The most assists: Bruno F
💫 The revelation player: Garnacho
😔 The 3 relegated clubs: Forest, Fulham, Bournemouth

@Ardy_MilanLiver:
🏆 The Champion: Liverpool
💥 Top four: Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal
✨ The best player: Kane
⚽️ The top scorer: Salah
🎯 The most assists: KdB
💫 The revelation player: Elliot
😔 The 3 relegated clubs: Leeds, Fulham, Bournemouth

@cloutgangkhan:
🏆 The Champion: ManCity
💥 Top four: MC, Liv, Arsenal, Spurs
✨ The best player: KDB
⚽️ The top scorer: Haaland
🎯 The most assists: KDB
💫 The revelation player: Jesus
😔 The 3 relegated clubs: leeds, Fulham, Bournemouth

@BSyrrist:
🏆 The Champion: LFC
💥 Top four: LFC, City, Chelsea, Spurs
✨ The best player: Kane
⚽️ The top scorer: Salah
🎯 The most assists: Kane
💫 The revelation player: Harvey Elliott
😔 The 3 relegated clubs: Everton, Bournemouth, Fulham

@spgrey:
🏆 The Champion: Liverpool
💥 Top four: Man City, Arsenal, Spurs
✨ The best player: Salah
⚽️ The top scorer: Gabriel Jesus
🎯 The most assists: de Bruyne
💫 The revelation player: Saliba
😔 The 3 relegated clubs: Southampton, Forest, Bournemouth

@wcurtin67:
🏆 The Champion: City
💥 Top four: Liverpool Spurs Arsenal
✨ The best player: Kane
⚽️ The top scorer: Kane
🎯 The most assists: Trent
💫 The revelation player: Bazunu
😔 The 3 relegated clubs: Bournemouth Southampton Everton

@spgrey:
🏆 The Champion: Liverpool
💥 Top four: Man City, Arsenal, Spurs
✨ The best player: Salah
⚽️ The top scorer: Gabriel Jesus
🎯 The most assists: de Bruyne
💫 The revelation player: Saliba
😔 The 3 relegated clubs: Southampton, Forest, Bournemouth

@Sbox02:
Champions – Man City
Top 4 – Man City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal
Best Player – Kane
Most Goals – Kane
Most Assists – De Bruyne
Revelation Player – Gelhardt
Relegated – Bournemouth, Nottingham Forest, Southampton

@JayGaibz:
🏆 The Champion: Liverpool
💥 Top four: City, Spurs, Arsenal
✨ The best player: Salah
⚽️ The top scorer: Haaland
🎯 The most assists: Kane
💫 The revelation player: Nunez
😔 The 3 relegated clubs: Leeds, Fulham, Bournemouth

@Joelmiller698El:
🏆 The Champion: Liverpool
💥 Top four: Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spurs
✨ The best player: KDB
⚽️ The top scorer: Salah
🎯 The most assists: Trent AA
💫 The revelation player: Carvalho
😔 The 3 relegated clubs Everton, Bornmouth and Nottingham Forest

@EthanolSmite:
The Champion: City
💥 Top four: City,Liverpool,Chelsea,Spurs
✨ The best player: KDB
⚽️ The top scorer: Son
🎯 The most assists: Salah
💫 The revelation player: Nunez
😔 The 3 relegated clubs: Fulham Everton Forest

@TomHoneywell94:
🏆 The Champion: Liverpool
💥 Top four: City, Spurs, Arsenal
✨ The best player: De Bruyne
⚽️ The top scorer: Salah
🎯 The most assists: Son
💫 The revelation player: Jesus
😔 The 3 relegated clubs: Everton, Fulham, Bournemouth