fbpx
Connect with us

Championship

Gareth Southgate names England squad with new additions for 2024 Euros qualifiers

Gareth Southgate names his England squad with new additions for the 2024 Euros qualifiers taking place in mid-June after the season finishes.

England face an away day at Malta on the 16th of June and at home to North Macedonia in Manchester on the 19th of June.

The Three Lions currently sit top of Group C. Italy are second but three points, as is North Macedonia in third, Ukraine and Malta have zero points, but Ukraine have played once and Malta twice.

SQUAD ANNOUNCEMENT

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (West Ham United)

Forwards: Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), James Maddison (Leicester City), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Callum Wilson (Newcastle United)

England manager Gareth Southgate speaking at his news conference after announcing his squad for the upcoming Euro 2024 qualifiers, as per BBC Sport“It (the short time between the season’s end and the qualifiers) hasn’t influenced selections at all. It is a difficult season for clubs, the players and us.

“We are always mindful of the welfare of the players and we have to allow players time to recuperate but not to de-condition physically.

“Like every other country we have important qualification matches on our way to Germany.

“We have picked a strong squad and the players always enjoy coming here. I think we will manage it as well as we can.”

Southgate speaking about Raheem Sterling: “I spoke with him a week or so ago. A general catch-up.

“He is not happy with his condition physically, carrying a hamstring problem. He wasn’t really in consideration.

“He doesn’t think he is operating at the level he needs.”

Southgate speaking about Eberechi Eze: “We’ve liked him for a long time. He was very unfortunate just before the Euros. We were going to call him into a prep camp and he got an injury.

“He has finished the season very strongly, he can play in a couple of positions across that front line. He has high quality and bursts of speed to go past players with those dribbling skills.”

Southgate speaking about Trent Alexander-Arnold: “He’s a super footballer and he’s playing in a slightly different role.

“He has always been in advanced areas with the ball, he is just a bit more central now. It is interesting for us and an option and something I have spoken to him about in recent weeks. We are looking forward to working with Trent.”

Southgate says he has spoken to Ivan Toney after the Brentford striker was given an eight-month ban from football for breaching betting rules:

“I have spoken with him. I don’t know if that’s allowed, by the way. If it isn’t, they can ban me and not add to his.

“I think he recognised and accepted the punishment.”

Southgate on Brentford striker Ivan Toney’s eight-month ban:

“What bothers me is that we’ve got to look after people and he’s injured at the moment. What does he do about getting fit?

“How do we give him some structure over the next few months so he can develop himself or be a better person at the end of it or have experiences he might not experience?

“I don’t like the idea that we just leave somebody that they are not allowed to be part of the football community. I don’t think that’s how we should work.”

Southgate was askedĀ at his news conferenceĀ about the racial abuse suffered by Real Madrid forward Vinicius Jr during Real’s recent 1-0 loss against Valencia.

“I think we could debate about walking off [the pitch] or not. It’s a disgusting situation. I think it’s so bad that actually it is going to force change. It has taken a central story, not only in Europe but around the world, and it will force change.

“It is another example of what we are dealing with and another example of people burying their heads in the sand.

“We’ve been in a similar situation and I think [Real Madrid manager] Carlo Ancelotti dealt with it really well.

“There is a lot to take from it, it looks as though action has taken. Hopefully it is a story that doesn’t just disappear in 24-48 hours without anything being done.”

This is what fans are saying as Gareth Southgate names the latest England squad with new additions for the 2024 Euros qualifiers…

@ClinicalBruno39: Ben White has been left out because he isnā€™t a footballer šŸ˜­

@callumcasteln: Gibbs-White robbed

@mlitman: Gallagher and Phillips over Gibbs-White? How? Based on performances thatā€™s criminal.

@Kakaroach: Kalvin Phillips šŸ˜‚

@CathalRobinson: Maguire who doesn’t even play and gets in, Southgate hasn’t a clue šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ and Kalvin Phillips who has 1 league start all season

@AO1865: Eze is fully deserved, probably been the best English midfielder over the last 6-8 weeks but Maddison and Gallagher over Gibbs-White is madness

@BaileyVernon02: Right not being funny but Gallagher, Maguire, Henderson, Phillips should not be in this squad

@nffcjayke: SOUTHGATE OUT MGW ROBBED

@Panks80: Phillips, Henderson, Gallagher and Maddison in that midfield is a crime

@MitchellTimmin3: Im sure maguire will be 37 playing for notts county and still in the England team if we have southgate

@tynetakes: Itā€™s better players like guehi, eze, dunk and Wilson all deserve it but Still blows my mind how Phillips, Gallagher and Maguire are in there ? Theyā€™re not even playing. Thereā€™s players like mgw, Ramsey, white, Watkins, konsa who are in top form and deserve a go

@Mark_CPFC: Eze, Guehi, Johnstone. Palace takeover

@OldManWinter999: Phillips, Maguire and Gallagher should be nowhere near the squadā€¦

@jakekervick: Happy for Eze. Dunk too as they deffo deserve it. MGW absolutely robbed and not even club bias. Absolute joke.

@harrynffc88: No gibbs white šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

@ForzaBHAFC: LEWIS DUNK FINALLY šŸ™ŒšŸ¼

@ThePalaceWay: Eberichi Eze my beloved, he deserves it after his injury.

@tcarterisla: How does Phillips get in there and not say Harrison Reed who has been instrumental in Fulham season? Phillips and Maguire both against the Southgate grain of selection when hardly featuring for club side

@lspark89: Disappointed that Sean Longstaff hasnā€™t been given a chance šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø Ladā€™s had an outstanding season & I personally prefer him to Gallagher. Shame that Willockā€™s injured too

@GeoffKnox67: Surely Maguire and Phillips deserve a break after such a gruelling season?

@HolidaiSon: How are Phillips and Maguire there? Also Maddison is way out of form. Itā€™s nuts.

@isaacjennings80: James Maddison In and no Morgan Gibbs White is a bloody joke šŸ˜¤

@TonyTho20289885: Harry Maguire, Kalvin Phillips, Jordan Henderson and James Madison, can someone please explain why they have been selected? They have all been either crap or not playing all season. #Southgateout.

@DanMUFC31: No Ben White, no Wan Bissaka, no Gibbs White or no Watkins but the likes of Maguire, Gallagher, Phillips all get in smh

@warrenallsworth: As normal Gareth plays it safe. Gallagher hasnā€™t been good this season and Phillips has barely kicked a ball. Disappointed not to see Rico Henry, Ollie Watkins & Morgan Gibbs-White in there. Pleased to see Eze in there though.

@ben_holl: How does GS reconcile only picking players on form with selecting the likes of Phillips? Nothing against Kalvin at all, good player. But heā€™s started one PL game this season, and that was basically a dead rubber.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

More in Championship