fbpx
Connect with us

English Football League

Football fans raise over £8,000 for funeral of Walsall fan killed in Blackpool attack

Football fans have managed to raise over £8,000 for the funeral of a Walsall fan who was sadly killed in a Blackpool attack.

Officers rushed to the scenes following reports of people fighting on at Central Drive at 5.33pm on Saturday, and upon arrival found 22-year-old Ryan Harvey with a serious head injury.

Ryan was taken to Royal Preston Hospital, however he unfortunately died on Tuesday morning, prompting Lancashire Police to launch a murder investigation.

There has been an huge amount of respectful tributes and support from fans across the country since Ryan’s death was announced, including a GoFundMe page which has raised more than £8,000 in 24 hours.

Hundreds have sent in donations, along with Walsall players Conor Wilkinson and Sam Perry, and representatives from the club’s media team.

In a tribute, Ryan’s family described him as a “lifelong Walsall FC fan who lived and breathed football” and someone who “would do anything for anybody”.

There is also a planned bike ride starting from the Spotted Cow Bloxwich on July 9th at roughly 10am ahead of Walsall’s friendly game against Aston Villa.

League Two club Walsall FC paid a tribute, saying: “We’re sorry to hear this extremely sad news. Our thoughts are with Ryan’s family and friends at this difficult time.”

Ryan’s friend, Aaron Brewer, also shared a tribute on social media: “Can’t believe I am writing this.

“Rest In Peace Ryan Harvey. What a proper nice and genuine lad.”

A post mortem concluded that the cause of Ryan’s death was blunt head trauma, with enquiries to establish exactly how his came about his injuries ongoing.

A 32-year-old male from Fleetwood has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remained in custody on Thursday afternoon.

36-year-old Paul Atherton, from Knowsley Crescent, Thornton Cleveleys, was charged with wounding, assault and possession of an offensive weapon in a public place.

He appeared before Blackpool magistrates on Monday and was remanded in custody. He is next due to appear at Preston Crown Court on July 27th.

Officers were called to Central Drive, Blackpool at 5.33pm on Saturday (June 25) after receiving reports that people were fighting.

Credit: Express & Star

Temporary DCI Rach Higson, of Lancashire Police’s Force Major Investigation Team, said: “This altercation has led to a young man losing his life and my thoughts are very much with Ryan’s family and friends at this time.

“We have a dedicated team of officers assigned to this investigation and we are determined to establish exactly what occurred and identify everybody involved.

“Although we have now made two arrests our enquiries are very much ongoing.

“I would ask anybody with information or CCTV, dashcam or mobile phone footage which could assist our enquiries to come forward as soon as possible.

“This happened on a busy street in the middle of the day where there were lots of people and traffic around.”

Anyone with information or footage is asked to email forcecontrolroom@lancashire.police.uk or call 101, quoting log number 1127 of the 25th June.

Nathaniel Hall, posted a tribute on Facebook: “Can’t believe I’m having to write this and I’m absolutely gob smacked to have heard the news that a true Saddler Ryan Harvey has passed away.

“Shared many memories together pal following Walsall, from you getting locked up at Northampton Away to us getting revenge on the train station bridge when we next played then at home, or when you cracked that geezer a good one at Rochdale.

“Never forget them moments mate, you was a proper fan and it was nice to have a pal who loved Walsall just as much as I did. It makes you realise that no day is promised and life can be taken in an instance. We will remember you bro and we will make sure your name lives on wherever the football takes us. I know you’ll be there in spirit pal. Rest easy my mate, ONCE A SADDLER ALWAYS A SADDLER

“Thoughts go out to Jake Harvey and the family at this sad time. All donations to Ryan’s go fund me will be given to his family to help with funeral costs and to help give him the best send of possible, thank you. https://gofund.me/52f5ccbc

There was plenty of tributes as football fans raise over £8,000 for the funeral of a Walsall fan killed in the Blackpool attack…

@mikewilly88: 🙏 sad that

@notch_32: Rip fella.

@AnthonyCope4: RIP 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

@LeViillaaaa: Rest in peace Ryan 🙏