fbpx
Connect with us

Championship

Every EFL Attendance of the Weekend – 8th August 2021

We continue our look at every attendance of the weekend with fans finally back in the stadiums. This was the top attendance for the Championship…

1) Sheffield United v Birmingham City – 29,043

The rest of the weekend’s Championship attendances…

2) Coventry City v Nottingham Forest – 20,843
3) Stoke City v Reading – 19,068
4) Bristol City v Blackpool – 18,729
5) Cardiff City v Barnsley – 17,431
6) Derby County v Huddersfield Town – 16,249
7) Queens Park Rangers v Millwall – 16,127
8) Fulham v Middlesbrough – 16,058
9) Preston North End v Hull City – 12,452
10) Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City – 10,260
11) Luton Town v Peterborough United – 10,019
12) AFC Bournemouth v West Bromwich Albion – 9,254

If it was the Blackburn players that inspired the crowd with their electrifying tempo in the opening half at Ewood Park, it was the fans who rallied behind their team during a difficult phase in the second to ensure they preserved their lead, and Tony Mowbray recognised how the fans made a difference to the players in a difficult phase in the second half, saying: “Football fans aren’t stupid, they can see. The fans know. I have no gripes with the fans, I think they have been amazing. Today was just another example.

“In my four-and-a-half year tenure with the club, the supporters are quite amazing. They don’t fill the stadium up but the ones that do back their team on a matchday are quite amazing.

“I think they sense this is a young team and they feed off a team that is out there fighting.

“A working class town, they expect their team to fight, to tackle, to run and to chase.

“We might not be able to do it on Tuesday with the same intensity – I’ll probably pick a different team Tuesday – but as long as they can see their team fighting for the points, they’ve realised we’re not back in ’95 and we don’t have the best players in the league but we are a team fighting for Blackburn Rovers.

“I hope the people who came to support their team went home happy with the three points.”

These were lovely scenes at the Coventry Building Society Arena as the home crowd applaud their side following a 96th minute winner against Nottingham Forest on Sunday.

After 833 days away, the Sky Blues fans can celebrate a win in their own stadium, having last played their home games at Birmingham City.

It even got BBC Radio Coventry & Warwickshire summariser Steve Ogrizovic a bit emotional when he was picked up on the TV camera.

Enjoyed reading the numbers from the Championship? Why not take a look at the League One attendances on the next page…

LEAGUE ONE

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Click to comment

Leave a Reply