Connect with us

AFC Bournemouth

Charlie Nicholas’ Premier League score predictions – 23rd August

Charlie Nicholas has given his predictions for all of this weekend’s Premier League fixtures and it’s fair to say there are some eye-catching scores.

The former Celtic, Arsenal, Aberdeen and Scotland footballer currently works as a pundit for Sky Sports and most every weekend appears on the Soccer Saturday show to commentate on games and get involved with debates.

See what he went with below and on the next few pages…

ASTON VILLA v EVERTON

The score Charlie Nicholas has predicted for this game is: 1-1

He said on Sky Sports’ website: “Villa have been OK. They had a good 60 minutes or so against Tottenham and then a bit of an eye-opener against Bournemouth last weekend. They have spent a lot of money but the quality steps up in the Premier League.

“I think Jack Grealish is playing too deep. John McGinn seems to be catching the eye with his driving runs and energy but Grealish should be further up the pitch and a bit closer to him.

“I don’t think Villa are too far away.

“Everton haven’t really clicked into action yet. I don’t think they are going to be amazing to watch but the improvement has definitely been defensively – Michael Keane has started the season well.

“Villa will think they need to get something on the board. I think it will be physical but not a high-scoring game.”

NORWICH v CHELSEA

The score Charlie Nicholas has predicted for this game is: 2-2

He said on Sky Sports’ website: “I saw Teemu Pukki at Celtic and there were suggestions he couldn’t handle playing at a big club but I am not sure about that. I just don’t think he got the opportunities. He played in a fairly average Celtic team and now his confidence his sky high and his movement his excellent. He looks to have more pace and he will be a real handful for Chelsea.

“This is a tough test for Chelsea. They have played some good football and have energy in attack, but the problems they have are the defence and also scoring goals.

“Kurt Zouma doesn’t seem to be the answer in defence. Antonio Rudiger will improve things when he returns but they haven’t settled and look vulnerable. The full-backs are getting opened up.

“Will Tammy Abraham get time up front? Or what about Olivier Giroud and Michy Batshuayi? I think it will be a difficult season for Chelsea.

“Frank Lampard will be desperate to get a win but I think this will be a high-scoring draw.”

BRIGHTON v SOUTHAMPTON

The score Charlie Nicholas has predicted for this game is: 1-1

He said on Sky Sports’ website: “Brighton have probably been the surprise of the season so far. They looked good against West Ham and, even though I wasn’t too impressed with their summer signings, sometimes you need five or six games to work them out.

“Southampton should have got a draw against Liverpool and also played OK for an hour against Burnley. I think Ralph Hasenhuttl will be looking for a bit more energy on the counter-attack.”

MAN UTD v CRYSTAL PALACE

The score Charlie Nicholas has predicted for this game is: 3-1

He said on Sky Sports’ website: “Everyone was getting excited about Manchester United after the 4-0 win over Chelsea but they got a bit of a reality check in the second half on Monday Night Football at Wolves, who are a good side.

“I thought Paul Pogba would leave but it doesn’t look like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is preparing for that, unless he decides to rock the boat.

“United have pace up front with Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard, but are pretty average in midfield. Scott McTominay is a challenge physically but not a great forward passer and at the back, Harry Maguire will improve, but it will take him time. I am not surprised they spent £50m on Aaron Wan-Bissaka but he is young and wants to get forward, which could see spaces in defence.

“They still have some issues to sort, but Palace have not started well at all.

“They have Christian Benteke back in the team and what is he offering? But then what other choices do they have? They don’t have any options. They will be relying on Wilfried Zaha and Andros Townsend on the counter.

“I am surprised Gary Cahill hasn’t started yet. Roy Hodgson said on Soccer Saturday that he was impressed by Cahill’s fitness, but why isn’t he playing to get match fitness? I think he is better than what they have got.”

SHEFFIELD UTD v LEICESTER

The score Charlie Nicholas has predicted for this game is: 1-2

He said on Sky Sports’ website: “This is a really good game.

“Sheffield United have great support at home and I expect them to be quite expressive, but Chris Wilder is very good at getting the balance right at the back and they had a fantastic defensive record in the Championship. I saw them last week and I wasn’t convinced by the defence but they seem to get the job done and when you are on a roll then you start to believe and confidence is a magic word in football.

“I thought Leicester should have won at Chelsea and I expect them to be challenging the top six. They have to replace Maguire but they have pace and movement and good players in attack.”

Take a look at more of his predictions on the next page.

Like what the Fan Banter have on offer? Sign up for more EPL notifications!

More in AFC Bournemouth