‘Can’t believe what I’m seeing’ – Bonkers 10-goal thriller as Grimsby and Notts County draw 5-5

There was a bonkers 10-goal thriller in League Two on Saturday afternoon as Grimsby Town and Notts County play out a 5-5 draw.

Grimsby boss David Artell described it as a “basketball game on a football pitch” having seen his side go ahead three times but in the end needed new signing Harry Wood to grab a last-gasp equaliser.

Notts County’s David McGoldrick thought his second goal on 92 minutes looked on course to be the winner, but there was enough time added on with Wood getting the game’s tenth goal on 95 minutes.

“It was a basketball game on a football pitch,” Grimsby’s David Artell said to BBC Radio Humberside.

“It was a real good game, not just because it was 5-5, but there was some real good football on the pitch.

“But we didn’t help ourselves at crucial moments. We could have been 3-0 up and then we can’t defend like we defended.”

Notts County’s joint interim boss Jim O’Brien said to BBC Radio Nottingham: “It was a bit ‘you have a go and we’ll have a go’.

“We’ve definitely got a lot to learn and we’re going to have a busy week with the video meetings.

“We gave ourselves a mountain to climb, climbed back up and got near to the top, but sometimes you just fall, that happens.”

7 mins: Grimsby 1-0 Notts County – Danny Rose
15 mins: Grimsby 2-0 Notts County – Abo Eisa
39 mins: Grimsby 2-1 Notts County – David McGoldrick
45+1 mins: Grimsby 2-2 Notts County – Macauley Langstaff
52 mins: Grimsby 3-2 Notts County – Harry Clifton
60 mins: Grimsby 3-3 Notts County – Aaron Nemane
62 mins: Grimsby 4-3 Notts County – Abo Eisa
79 mins: Grimsby 4-4 Notts County – Nemane
90+2 mins: Grimsby 4-5 Notts County – David McGoldrick
90+5 mins: Grimsby 5-5 Notts County – Harry Wood

This is how fans reacted to the bonkers 10-goal thriller as Grimsby and Notts County draw 5-5…

ON NOTTS COUNTY’S TWITTER:

@aidan_19923: Attackers saved us again. Defenders need sacking! Sick of all this talk saying you can’t criticize the defenders, yes we can! Time for owners to invest in some proper defenders if we want to get play offs and do well in them!

@gmase2020: Our attack must hate our defenders. Score 5 and still not win. Rather play a set of traffic cones than them again

@skinio: Should never be able to score 5 away from home and not win. Diabolical defending and reinforcements needed very soon. Cant carry on like this with or without a manager

@toffeehaz: We were extremely lucky not to be a lot further than 2 down. Credit to the lads. Came out second half with a lot more movement and ways to attack. I can take this one, but there’s huge problems for the next manager to put right. A successful season would be the playoffs

@chogger5: At least we didn’t lose and it stops the losing run away from home obviously never good to concede 5 but on the positive side we also scored 5 away from home 🤣

@BigTom0491: Embarrassing Notts!! Buzzing though for Monday when we announce new head coach and new defenders!

@Callum_SR: Jodi’s back must be killing him after carrying that side

@mriordan__: Never fail to amaze me, fuck me we are wank at the back.

@cwb1862: Not happy with that at all, a lot needs sorting

@stevierobatkins: The only difference between this team and the team that got us relegated is our attacking ability. Our defence is nothing short of criminal.

@WilanHewes: League 1 attack. National League defence. Its it wernt for our forwards, would be a horrible season. Good try lads. Onto the next one

@SarahBentley197: We’ll have to take that, like everyone has said if we had a decent defense we’d be amazing, loyalty is going to have to go time to get down to some serious business or by the time we’ve played Stockport, Barrow and Mansfield we’ll be down in the middle of the table.

ON GRIMSBY’S TWITTER:

@ConnorSwales69: Should never ever be in a position where we are scoring 5 and not winning. Good heart to get a point but I’ve had enough of the entire back 4. The defending is absolutely disgraceful

@ewangtfc: 11 goals conceded in 2 home games. Pathetic

@Matt69tomo: Would have taken a point before the game.

@jamescrockart: What a game, how do we concede 4 very similar goals, but then go on and score 5 is outstanding. Great game. Not sure if that is a point gained or 2 points dropped.

@9ibbo: What a game. Give me that over the shite served up under hurst any day #gtfc

@SClaybourn87: Wow – what a game! Showed great character to respond late on having gone 5-4 down. Just imagine what we could be if we could defend crosses 🤷‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️🤣Best game of the season for entertainment! Let’s build on it now. UTM! ⚪️⚫️⚪️⚫️ #GTFC

@Baz_GTFC: Absolutely mental game of football that. Seriously need to work on the defending though 11 conceded in 2 games is worrying #gtfc

@Liam_Muzza99: What a ridiculous game of football, neither team can defend. Should never have to score 6 to win a game though #gtfc

@RBartlettSport: We need a brand new back five. Shocking.

@DELLIS23: Never a dull moment supporting @officialgtfc! #UTM