Bognor fans left angry as derby against Lewes is postponed 50 minutes before kick off

Bognor Regis Town fans have been left angry as their Boxing Day derby at Lewes is called off 50 minutes before kick off.

The Isthmian Premier Division clash was deemed not to be in danger of being postponed, however that changed late on. Lewes posted the below picture on Twitter to show the pitch looked to be in reasonable condition at 12:20pm.

Lewes said: “An explanation for today’s postponement. At 12:20 the pitch looked like this (above photo) and the weather forecast was for light rain in the afternoon.

“It then proceeded to rain heavily for an hour. The match referee was held up in traffic, which meant he didn’t arrive at the ground until almost 2pm, shortly after which he decided to call the game off.

“Coaches from both sides felt the game was playable, even then, so for those who said it was “obvious” the game would be off, we would respectfully disagree. We’re sorry for all fans who had a wasted journey, but our volunteers did their best to get the game on.”

Dave Robinson, the Rocks away fans travel organiser, expressed his frustration: “I can only apologise for the waste of a journey, day, time and money. I can assure you I did everything possible to avoid this scenario. At NO TIME did Lewes feel that a pitch inspection was necessary. It would seem that as a club they were hoping for a bumper crowd. No consideration to the many fans who would be travelling by their own means as there was no public transport!

“This unfortunately shows Lewes in their true colours with NO respect for the real supporters who follow Non League football. Many apologies again.

“The conduct of Lewes in this matter beggars belief. I was in contact during the morning with our club and Lewes and at no time did Lewes feel a pitch inspection was necessary. I arrived by my own means on this occasion to find at 2.15pm the ref had only just arrived and the game was off.

“Lewes have shown no respect to fans here whatsoever. I really hope it hasn’t put people off travelling in the future as I know the club management really appreciate your backing. Thanking you all again for your patience, support and understanding in a very frustrating situation.”

As mentioned, Bognor fans on Twitter were left angry as their derby at Lewes is postponed 50 minutes before kick off – check out what they wrote on the next page.