AFC Bournemouth

Arsenal come from behind to win in the 97th minute after Bournemouth score second fastest PL goal

Arsenal come from behind to win in the 97th minute after Bournemouth score the second fastest PL goal on Saturday afternoon.

The Cherries’ Philip Billing put the hosts in front against the Gunners after just 9.11 seconds at the Emirates Stadium in a shock start.

The Premier League record is still held by Shane Long, finding the net after just 7.69 seconds for Southampton against Watford back in 2019.

Bournemouth continued to provide a surprise when they went 2-0 up in the second half through Marcos Senesi.

Thomas Partey pulled one back for the hosts on the 62nd minute, and Ben White came off the bench to make it level with 20 minutes to play.

But then Arsenal’s title hopes were saved when sealed by Reiss Nelson’s 97th minute winner at the Emirates over Bournemouth. What scenes it was.

Paul Merson on Soccer Saturday: “What a goal, it comes out to Nelson and it flies into the far corner…. OH MY GOD!!

“I think they [Arsenal] win the league, they keep going and going. They don’t know when they’re beat. That’s four [wins] on the trot. If they win the next three games, I don’t see how they don’t win it.”

Sky Sports’ Sam Blitz at the Emirates Stadium: “The scenes at the end just sum up Arsenal at the Emirates. This place has been bouncing.

“You can only think what this does psychologically to both Arsenal and City. Guardiola must be thinking when this Arsenal team will let them have a proper look in…”

Ashley Williams (Former Wales captain on Final Score): “The scenes are mad.

“Everyone has gone nuts at the Emirates. What a massive goal!”

Arsenal’s match winner Reiss Nelson: “It’s amazing. When the ball came out to me I eyed it up. Everyone went crazy when it went in. It’s a great moment for me. I have been here all my life and it means a lot to me. I’m just happy. I’m delighted.”

Arsenal match winner Reiss Nelson, speaking to MOTD: “When the ball came out to me I was thinking ‘please give me one chance’. I’m buzzing, really happy. I controlled it with my right foot and it came onto my left.

“We need moments like this if we want to go all the way. We’re not looking at any other team at the minute. We are focusing on ourselves. We will keep going day-by-day, game-by-game. As an Arsenal fan, I’m just delighted with the result.”

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta: “I’m incredibly happy. It was just mad. Those feelings of happiness and joy. It was a really special way and it took until the last second to earn it. I am really proud of them [players].

“They never gave up. There is nothing like sharing those great moments with your people. I’m so happy for him [Reiss Nelson].

“It’s just another game, another three points,. To win three games in a week [Leicester, Everton, Bournemouth] is very important. We want to stay there [at the top] for as long as possible. There are still a lot of games to play but that’s the beauty of it.”

This is what fans said as Arsenal come from behind to win in the 97th minute after Bournemouth score the second fastest PL goal of all time…

@lukalucajuu: that was literally every arsenal fan before and after the corner taken…..

@ColumbusGooner: You are an absolute gem, Wrighty. Never stop being you.

@Leo_The_Gooner: We are all Ian Wright!!

@gunnersTVcoyg: Ian Wright is all of us right now ❤️ Real character shown today. This is the difference between winning a championship and losing it. We the Arsenal are known for our resilience. This performance epitomised it Arsenal AFC Gunners

@DrewSmithUK: Ian Wright is a national treasure and if his name ever turned up on a ballot, I’d vote for him.

@PManson1994: Ian Wright absolute legend 😂

@jeffgarnett30: Should arsenal go on and win the Premier league no one can say they haven’t deserved it …never give up

@1rfansays: I feel like Paul really wants to cry out of pure joy! What emotion, what a game!