fbpx
Connect with us

Championship

Adrian Durham ranks the top 10 football stadiums in England after completing 92 challenge

talkSPORT chief live football anchor Adrian Durham ranks the top 10 football stadiums in England after completing the 92 challenge.

What is the 92 challenge?

As per the the92.net rules & guidelines, there are many varied rules to ‘doing the 92’ but these are the ones that they go by:

– All grounds ticked off must be a game of association football (including friendlies, reserves and woman’s football) in which the game is over 90 minutes and begins with 11 vs 11 with tickets available for purchase (even if you didn’t pay for them)

– Ground tours DO NOT count

– Only current grounds count i.e. the Emirates not Highbury

– To complete the 92 you must have visited all grounds for the teams currently in the football league structure

– You must make every effort to attend the whole game

– If the pitch has been substantially moved then the ground has to be struck off your list

– If you go to a ground to watch a none league game but the home side are subsequently promoted to the Football League then the visit does count towards your 92

– Fans have to be honest. If you haven’t actually been to the ground or you haven’t followed the rules above then you’re only lying to yourself (well maybe to us a little bit too)

– If you have been to a ground more than once then we leave it up to you, you can put your first, best, worse, most memorable or an average of all your visits!

And yes, there are guidelines for those properly doing the 92…

– Try to be as honest as possible. Don’t big up your team too much or overly slate your rivals

– If you don’t know how to rate something (maybe you’re not as big a fan of pies and pints as us) then leave it blank

– Location – consider ease of access, surrounding area, friendliness of the locals and local amenities

– Value for money – This includes cost of your ticket, food, drink, program and purchases from the club shop. Basically the cost of the day minus travel

– Atmosphere – Although this is partially dependent on the game itself, you should base this on the volume and level of banter from the fans and include the acoustics of the stadium itself

– Pint Rating – In the era of mass sponsorship your selection maybe somewhat limited. Consider the availability and price of lagers, ales and ciders in and around the ground

– Pie Rating – The traditional football snack. We’re looking for quality of the filling, sauce, and pastry

– Programme – Consider cost as well as quality of content, layout and statistics

Adrian Durham ranks the top 10 football stadiums in England after completing 92 challenge…

10. Harrogate’s Wetherby Road

It’s a very beautiful town Harrogate and a very tidy ground. I was expecting it to be a bit ramshackle, but it’s really nice. And the reason why it’s in there is because I spent the second half of that game on a terrace behind the goal, proper old-school.

I read part of a book that said ‘football’s pulse can only really be taken from this position’ the day before I stood on the terrace, and it kind of resonated with me. I’ve got to have Harrogate in there.

9. Nottingham Forest’s City Ground

I love grounds that are near city centres. It’s by the River Trent. The other ground in Nottingham, Notts County, is a short walkway. When you look at Forest you think of the rich history.

You’re thinking of [Brian] Clough and all that and the European Cups when I see the ground and I’m heading towards it. That’s all I can think about. So I really love that ground.

8. Charlton’s The Valley

I went to The Valley when it was shut in the early 90s. I was at college in London training to be a journalist and one of our lecturers lived around the corner from the ground. So she said come and look, it was all overgrown. I went to look at it and I thought wow, they’re never getting back in there. It looks such a state. I was blown away by the ground. It looked fantastic, I thought what a shame.

Of course, then you find out they’re redoing it and then they’re back in. So the first time I went there when there was a game I really felt that change from what I’d seen when it was all run down and overgrown with weeds. I’ve appreciated that every time I’ve been to a game there.

7. Fulham’s Craven Cottage

I just love that walk through Bishops Park by the Thames. Everybody says it. And then you’ve got this quaint cottage which is the centre piece of the ground. They’ve even built this new stand and the quaint cottage is still the centrepiece of the ground. It’s a lovely old thing.

That’s why I love it. So I’m glad they’ve never moved.

6. Newcastle’s St. James’ Park

I used to live up there. I went a lot and it’s right in the middle of town It’s a unique ground. One side they can’t be built up and it’s quite shallow. The stand is not bad, it doesn’t look terrible, but the other three sides are gigantic and this one side is quite small.

Some people might think that that’s a flaw in it and they might not like it for that reason, whereas I think it’s absolutely brilliant. When it’s full of fans and flags, it is a magical place.

5. Aston Villa’s Villa Park

The first stadium other than Peterborough that I went to. It was the size of it, the architecture of it. I mean the steps that lead up to the stand, they just look amazing really.

So things looked spectacular, it took my breath away. Again, it’s an emotional thing because of the feelings I had at that time.

4. AFC Wimbledon’s Plough Lane

I kind of love what they’ve done with the small stadium in that little pocket that it’s slotted into. If you look at it geographically, it’s a bit like Brentford, which was close to being in my top ten.

I love the fact it’s respecting their history. It’s tidy and there’s a terrific atmosphere when they get going.

3. Peterborough’s London Road

It really wouldn’t get in many people’s top 92 would it? I mean, it’s not great. But it’s where I fell in love with football. So it’s not a great stadium, but it is a special one to me.

And where you are at the away end, the stand to the left which is a two-tier, that used to be an open terrace. That’s where I grew up watching football. It was called the Glebe, I used to stand there and get rained on in division four. That was my football education.

2. Leeds’s Elland Road

I lived and worked in Leeds so I went quite a lot and looking at parts of the outside of it, I would say you’re taken back to the 70s because it feels like nothing’s changed. So you’re back there with Don Revie and Billy Bremner and all that.

I think it’s got a wonderful nostalgic charm and there’s a history there and it’s a one-club city. In terms of match atmosphere, Leeds are no. 1.

1. QPR’s Loftus Road

I went to QPR v Crystal Palace in the League Cup and it reminded me how much I loved it. It’s in the middle of a housing estate in London. The corners are filled in, it’s tight to the pitch.

I just absolutely love it. It’s another one where the atmosphere, when they’re doing well, is fantastic. That’s how a ground should be, right in the middle of a residential area. I love it.

Twitter users gave their reaction as Adrian Durham ranks the top 10 football stadiums in England after completing the 92 challenge…

@63blueevans: A great list. Loftus road is a great away day and a cracking ground. Where would you put Portman road ? When it’s full, which it has been the last few season I thinks it’s magical but of course I may be biased

@mullarkeyrob: I suspect you’ve been to the grounds of clubs that are no longer in the FL (but were recently, eg Sutton) but is your 92 the 92 for this season? I’m in the 50-60 bracket but that includes clubs that are now non-League (Rochdale, York) and those that no longer exist (eg Highbury).

@GeordieKermit9: Tbh- Loftus Toad is always a class away end. Nightmare for us to get to but full end behind goal and always class atmosphere

@BazmanCTFC: An interesting and eclectic top 10 I like it…….. Now for the bottom 10 😁

@ZarBeck26: A very interesting read with some surprising choices….

@demasiadoguay: You know, I always liked Adrian Durham

@JRP_OT: This man knows his stuff.. 🧐😅

@smiffdaaaa: Can’t say I agree much with him but he’s nailed this tbh

@colinjohnlester: He’s got that spot on.

@TCQPR2012: Great to read, I believe Sir Alex Ferguson once said the same 👌

@DavidLofthouse: LUFC should be top Adrian!!

@darrenhubbard1: Was at Loftus road in Saturday. Must agree great ground.

@LastCastCabins:
My Top 10 .
1. Maine Road
2. Upton Park
3. Villa Park
4. St James Park
5. Stamford Bridge
6. Baseball Ground
7. Filbert Street
8. St Andrews
9. City Ground
10. Goodison Park

@LutonTownExile: Can’t take your list seriously, Adrian. Kenilworth Road isn’t in it.

@simonwhittaker1: Too many bad memories to pick hillsborough I suspect

@L18MDV: Don’t disagree with much of this. Palace should be in there somewhere tho, Great ground.

@markbroome79: The Valley 😉👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

@JevWard: Despite all the nasty things you say about us, you do like us

@martinyemi: I haven’t been to many of these stadiums but the Valley, Plough Lane and Villa Park are ones that after visiting, I always remember as being fantastic

@takingthemikel: Villa park and the city ground have to be on there for any English football fan. Just iconic, big atmosphere, big moment proper football stadiums.

@Jamie53159065: I do love our ground, and many hate it, but I agree it’s really good when we’re doing well, I haven’t been to all 92, and I’m surprised Newcastle wasn’t higher if I’m honest I do love a good visit to the toon been many a times.

@LeeChristie16: I am a Forest fan from SE London, went to my 1st game at the valley and watched many games at the WFCG.

@JonnyFingers: I’ve seen the mighty Notts County at QPR – loved the ground, even though we lost.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply