Connect with us


Youth player hospitalised after drinking energy drinks

A club have decided to issue a warning after a youth player was hospitalised after drinking energy drinks following a game of football.

The teenager in Dublin was rushed to A&E after picking up alarming symptoms after having excessive amounts of the ‘Monster’ energy drinks.

Castleknock Celtic’s U16s have sent out a warning after he spent a night in hospital for drinking two cans of energy drink he had bought from a local shop after a game of football among friends.

www.fanbanter.co.uk – Fan reaction to the latest football news, gossip & funnies

An assistant coach with the lad’s team, Lorcan O’Malley, said the boy was playing football and drank two bottles of a readily-available energy drink as a way to deal with dehydration.

However afterwards, he became extremely unwell, experiencing discomfort.

His parents decided he should go to Connolly Hospital after his tongue became swollen, causing him to not speak clearly and had numbness in his arms and face.

The teenager was tested for drugs or alcohol in hospital, and tests came back negative.

He was released the next day after being diagnosed with a ‘hemiplegic migraine’, which doctors feel was likely caused by the caffeine quantities in the energy drink.

“It was a horrific experience for the boy and his family. It really shook them,” O’Malley said, and warned parents to be sure children and teenagers were hydrating with water while playing sport, especially during high summer.

The non league club revealed: “In the last week a member of our u16s team was admitted to Connolly Hospital followed by admission to Temple St.

“His presenting symptoms were swollen tongue and inability to speak clearly, he also had numbness in his arms and face.

“He needed an MRI scan and a CAT scan. It wasn’t drink and it wasn’t drugs.

“It was simply a guy who was dehydrated after playing football with his mates.”

Thankfully the young lad has since made a full recovery with the club reminding all players that water is best to drink to remain hydrated.

They added: “We really cannot understate the horror that it brought to the player and his family.

“The diagnosis was hemiplegig migraine brought on by too much caffeine in his body. Player is now fully recovered.”

The UK government banned the sale of energy drinks to under-16s last year.

High-caffeine drinks were blocked from sale to the youngsters in a bid to end “unhealthy behaviours and deprivation”.

A huge amount of Twitter users reacted after finding out that an Irish youth player was hospitalised after drinking energy drinks…

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Uncategorized