VIDEO: Paul Scholes comes out of retirement to play for team from 11th tier

Former Manchester United and England player Paul Scholes made a surprise return to football on Saturday as he made an appearance for Royton Town.

Scholes, called it a day professionally in 2013, but after finding out that his son Arron’s team were short of numbers for their fixture at Stockport Georgians, he decided to give them a helping hand.

Despite the presence of the 11-time Premier League winner, Royton went on to lose 1-0.

One point during the match saw Scholes lunging in for a 50-50.

Check out some videos of him in action below…

Manager Mark Howard was quoted by BBC Sport as saying: “We had eight or nine of our senior players missing and Paul said he’d be happy to help out if we were ever short as his son Arron plays for us.

“It’s great for the league. He raises the level of those around him by 10 to 15 per cent and opponents don’t want to look stupid in front of him.”

Royton chairman Gary Leeming added: “Usually these sort of games attract 40 or 50 people but there were a lot more there when word got out that he was playing. I can’t imagine Stockport Georgians have ever had so many people on their car park.

“We were down to the bare bones. He’s 43 now but he’s still got that magic wand and he was absolutely fantastic for us.

“He obviously has a lot of media commitments but he occasionally trains with us when he can and is still a great player.”

On social media, there were huge amounts of appreciation for Scholes for helping out, others couldn’t help but mock him for his tackling – check out the best tweets on the next page.