Tranmere fan walks 274 miles to watch match only to find the game called off

A Tranmere Rovers fan who walked 274 miles from Birkenhead to Dover to watch his side in action arrived to find the game had been postponed.

A postman by trade, Richie made the huge trek to raise money for the Spider-Edie appeal in aid of four-year-old Edie Molyneux, who is currently being treated for a brain tumour in Mexico.

He planned to celebrate his epic journey by watching his beloved Tranmere Rovers take on Dover Athletic in the National League but the game was called off at the last minute due to a waterlogged pitch.

Richie said: “As soon as I got to the football ground, I felt great, though, when I heard the news that the match had been called off I felt a bit down.”

Richie shrugged off his disappointment at not getting to see the match, saying: “It was all for Edie. It’s one of the best things I’ve ever done. It’s hard to put into words. I feel very emotional.”

Edie’s parents, Ashleigh and Steven Molyneux, have moved to Mexico to be able to support their daughter. They are aiming to raise £700,000 to cover the costs of her treatment. They are currently nearing the £200,000 mark. Any donations made will go a long way to help Edie receive the help she requires.

Richie’s JustGiving page is here, should you wish to contribute to the honourable cause.

Take a look at how fans reacted to this gesture on the next page.