Sunderland to release documentary of disastrous 2017/18 Championship season

It has been announced that a documentary following Sunderland’s disastrous 2017/18 season in the Championship will be released on Netflix in December.

Production company Fulwell73 have made an eight-part series called ‘Sunderland Til I Die’, which will show fans what it was like at behind the scenes at the club of their relegation season.

It seems these documentaries from clubs could be something we’ll be seeing a lot in the future, just last week, there was a lot of hype for Manchester City’s All or Nothing film which went out on Amazon Prime last week.

A post shared by @jakartacasual on

A press release from Fulwell73 said: “In the era of multi-million dollar sponsorship deals and transfers, where the stakes have never been higher or the rivalries more fierce, this brand new Netflix original series sets at its heart the unfailing passion of this UK Northern town for its beloved football club.

“The series will take its audience through the highs and lows of SAFC’s first season in the Championship following its painful relegation the previous year. The production company is Fulwell 73. (I am Bolt, The Class of ‘92) The executive producers are Leo Pearlman and Ben Turner.”

Pearlman added: “Sunderland Till I Die is a deeply personal series for us at Fulwell – we named our company after the club, it’s where our family is from, and we are still and will always be passionate fans of Sunderland Football Club.

“It was always a dream to follow our club through the highs and lows of a season and although this past year didn’t give us the success we all craved, we do believe through this story we’ve been able to show the unique relationship every fan has with the club they love and follow, no matter what the circumstances.

“This series captures the drama and heartbreak that the club experienced last season, told through the eyes of the management, players and most importantly Sunderland’s incredible fans.

“We hope audiences all across the globe will recognise something in this universal tale of strength in the face of adversity and fall in love with the characters as we have.”

It was definitely a season to forget and the chaotic scenes continued over the summer as Ellis Short finally sold the club to Stewart Donald.

Sunderland supporters have been thrilled ever since the change in ownership, despite being in League One, they currently fourth having earned ten points from their opening four games under new manager Jack Ross.

There was huge amounts of mocking from the football world and rival fans to this story, Sunderland supporters also gave their reaction – check out some of the best tweets on the next page.