Sunderland angry after Max Power hit with 3-game ban, but can’t play for 4 games

Sunderland manager Jack Ross was left frustrated yesterday after an appeal for Max Power’s red card to be overturned has been rejected by the FA.

The sending off came nineteen minutes into the Black Cats’ League One draw with Oxford on Saturday when Power tackled Marcus Browne from behind which triggered a three-game suspension.

As well as finding out about the appeal, the club informed supporters that the FA have reportedly told Sunderland that the midfielder couldn’t be played in last night’s Checkatrade Trophy clash against Stoke City’s U21 side, despite the fact that it won’t count towards the player’s ban.

Speaking about the decision, manager Jack Ross said: “We felt the initial decision to send Max off was harsh. However, it has been heard fairly, and we have to accept the FA’s decision regarding the card.

“What I cannot accept however, is that Max is banned from playing in tonight’s game, yet this does not count as part of his three-game suspension. It’s absolutely nonsensical and I’m sure everyone would agree with me on that.

“We are told that we must treat the Checkatrade Trophy with respect, which we have done so, and that it is a first-team competitive fixture, so my question is why does it not count towards his three-game suspension?

“We have been unfairly penalised with what is actually a four-game ban for our player, not a three-game ban as the rules state and I cannot understand how that can be the case.”

Sunderland supporters didn’t hold back with their thoughts on the decision with many having taken to Twitter to give their thoughts of the FA’s announcement – check out those tweets on the next page.