fbpx
Connect with us

Uncategorized

Queen’s Park reveal which club they’ll groundshare with until end of the season

Scottish League Two side Queen’s Park reveal which club they’ll groundshare with until the end of the season having left Hampden Park.

Queen’s Park played their last home game at Scotland’s national stadium on Saturday, which was a 3-0 win against Stranraer, taking them to five points clear at the top of the table.

Having previously extended Queen’s Park’s stay, the SFA have declined to extend it further, presumably the extremely hectic schedule faced by clubs at that level and the forthcoming use of Hampden for a string of high profile games influenced their decision.

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Andy Murdoch (@diagnosismurdoch)

Queen’s Park’s move to (New) New Lesser Hampden has been delayed with work on upgrading the stadium yet to be completed and the contractors have since left the site.

Queen’s Park will play the remainder of this season’s home games at Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld, home of Clyde FC.

Club President David Hunter spoke with the club’s official TV channel, QPTV: “We’ve been in discussions with the SFA right up until the very last minute to see if there was any opportunity to continue the season there.

“Unfortunately, given the upcoming internationals and the scheduling of Euro’s, semi-finals and finals of the Scottish Cup, which have been pencilled in, that’s not been possible.

“So, in conjunction with the coaching staff, we’ve looked at some of the options available and it looks like we will finish our home games playing at Broadwood.

“The surface there is a bit more conducive to our style of play and the size of Broadwood as well.”

“To help with that, we are going to let our boys train up there a couple of times just to familiarise themselves with the facility up there.

Hunter also confirmed the legal issues surrounding the delay in the completion of their new ground at Lesser Hampden.

It appears unlikely that it will completed ahead of next season and Hunter stressed the importance of updating the club’s supporters when possible.

He said: “We clearly have some challenges and there are some issues around that.

“Obviously, the processes that we are in the middle of are heavily caveated around legal procedure and there’s really not too much we can add to that.”

“What we hope is that we can reach a resolution in early course and once we’ve done that, we will make a more detailed and thorough explanation to supporters.”

www.fanbanter.co.uk – Fan reaction to the latest football news, gossip & funnies

Queen’s Park was formed in 1867 and initially played on the Queen’s Park Recreation Ground at Crosshill, which is from where they took their name. In 1873 they moved to their first enclosed ground, naming it Hampden Park after a nearby street, Hampden Terrace.

A grandstand and pavilion were built over the next few years and the ground became a regular venue for international matches and cup finals, however in 1883, the club were then forced to leave the site to make way for the construction of the Cathcart Circle railway.

After a year playing on Clydesdale Cricket Club’s patch, a second Hampden was opened in October 1884 and whilst the club continued to attract major fixtures, they faced increasing competition as other Glasgow venues such as Celtic Park and Ibrox were building up their place very quickly.

To maintain their position in Scottish football, Queen’s Park decided to purchase some farmland at Mount Florida, where the third Hampden was opened in 1903. Second Hampden was subsequently taken over by Third Lanark, who renamed it after their previous ground, Cathkin Park.

‘Hampden’ houses the offices of the Scottish Football Association (SFA) and the Scottish Football Museum. Despite its large capacity and well known profile worldwide, it is still owned by Queen’s Park and leased by the SFA. It has been the national football stadium of Scotland and the venue for all major cup finals and most Scotland international fixtures.

Due to the 2012 Olympic Games being played at Hampden, Queen’s Park had to move home games to the Excelsior Stadium in Airdrie for a full year; as did the cup finals and Scotland matches also went elsewhere.

Hampden’s capacity following redevelopment was 51,866, although Queen’s Park’s average league attendance is around 600–700.

Outside of Hampden Park sits a smaller, lesser-known ground called Lesser Hampden which Queen’s Park use for training and reserve/youth matches and is undergoing work.

In 2018, a deal was made for the SFA to purchase Hampden from Queen’s Park upon the expiry of the lease in 2020 for a nominal fee of just £5 million, with the club to improve Lesser Hampden and play their matches there. In November 2019 the club announced plans to redevelop Lesser Hampden into a 1,774 capacity ground.

As of August 2020, ownership of the main stadium had been transferred to the SFA and a new facility was under construction at Lesser Hampden.

Queen’s Park now reveal which club they’ll groundshare with until end of the season – Clyde’s Broadwood Stadium for the rest of the 2020–21 season.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Uncategorized