fbpx
Connect with us

Championship

Pompey fans praised for still singing at 6-1 down to Stoke; Cannon scores four goals in 38 minutes

Pompey fans have been praised for still singing even at 6-1 down to Stoke; as Tom Cannon scores four goals in 38 minutes.

A huge result for the Potters, who claim their first Championship win under new head coach Narcis Pelach, with Cannon putting the hosts ahead after 13 minutes with his first goal for the club, curling in a free-kick from 25 yards.

Portsmouth got an equaliser on the half hour mark thanks to Mark O’Mahony, but then Stoke scored twice in three minutes, Cannon getting his second and Sam Gallagher also on the scoresheet just before half-time.

Cannon then netted twice after the break, then Andrew Moran made it six. Portsmouth still winless after eight league games.

Portsmouth manager John Mousinho speaking to BBC Radio Solent:

“Difficult to summarise right now. The game went away from us very, very quickly five minutes before half-time and then five minutes after half-time. We just had this mad 10-minute spell.

“But my overall thoughts on the game were that we started abysmally. The first 10 minutes, I don’t know what we were thinking. We thought we were going to come here and play in some sort of way which is just completely foreign from a decent away performance.

“We gave ourselves a mountain to climb going a goal down, which we deserved to go a goal down. We got back into the game and then things were fairly even until about the 40th minute.

“The two goals we concede before half-time were just abysmal. Then second-half, Stoke killed the game off very early.

“I think the biggest positive is that it finished six.”

Mousinho, as per Sky Sports: “I haven’t seen that level of performance or the boys go under like they did for that 10-minute spell either side of half-time.

“We got exactly what we deserved. We didn’t run, we didn’t compete, we lost headers, we lost tackles, we lost second balls.

“It was a big surprise because we have been so good in the last three games.

“We started abysmally as though it was going to be this easy game.

“I am not sure what the mentality of the players was going into it. But that’s my problem and I have to address it.

“Myself and the coaching staff will take full responsibility for anything we need to do. But the players need to look at themselves tomorrow when we assess the game and take a long hard look at themselves.

“The fans were amazing and didn’t deserve that. We didn’t deserve what they gave us.

“So, massive apologies to everyone who spent their money to come up to Stoke. It is unacceptable, we all know that and we are very lucky to have that backing.”

Stoke City head coach Narcis Pelach told BBC Radio Stoke:

“Great win. Very, very happy for the players, for the staff and for the fans.

“The players fought a lot from the beginning. We gave them a difficult start. I think we have been good in all of our games. Very pleased because the performance was good and it’s a totally deserved result.

“We were more clinical. I think the level of energy and competitiveness today was very, very high.

“I am pleased with both games we have played at home. The lads gave it all. Of course last week was a more difficult game but today has been fantastic. Lots of goals as well which we needed. The performance was exceptional.”

Pelach per Sky Sports: “I replaced him (Cannon, on Saturday) and said, ‘I cannot be waiting for performances in the middle of a game. I needed to do what was right for the team. But I want to let you know I am going to back you. Three, four, five bad performances will not change my opinion about you’.

“I know he is a good player but he needs game time.

“Life is about confidence and I have confidence in him. I told him, ‘you need to feel free and you will start again’.

“I want to base something that is based on trust. He is a young player so we need to be supportive and tonight he got his reward.

“The game plan worked very well and the players were spot on. The intensity we had defensively was very good.”

Here’s how fans reacted with Pompey fans praised for still singing at 6-1 down to Stoke; Cannon scores four goals in 38 minutes…

@Lee180cosky: Fair play to all the Pompey fans that were here tonight, you never stopped singing all night.👏 Good luck for the rest of the season.

@84Knight: Norris beyond hideously bad. No effort from anyone outfield. Lane needs to go. Time to give Pack a generous rest. Change formation/tactics. Cheap options and untested players don’t work at this level. Blair weak. There’s a reason Middlesbrough didn’t keep Silvera etc.

@Dann_PFC: Embarrassing night. Didn’t see any of the team we had last week out there tonight, looked like strangers. Massive humbling might be what we need to realise where we’re at. Still got time to sort it out, PUP 🥲💙

@Iain_Macdonald7: Quick question to the blue tinted glasses fans, was it not meant to get easier after first 7 games? Or is it now first 8 games then 9 games if we lose Saturday too? Norris, Pack, Ogilvie you were okay in league 1 but time to go, Mous does not know what he is doing.

@PompeyBulldogKG: What’s the lowest points in championship cause I genuinely believe we got the team to smash that record out the park lane silvera Sorensen Blair ogilvie Norris league 1 players brev

@SCFC_CAL009: All jokes aside side you are the best fan base that has down here in atleast 8 years.Shame ya team isn’t up to scratch

@HazzaTWood96: We’re down and out at this rate. We’ve absolutely imploded at Stoke with an embarrassing and absolutely dreadful performance. Need a response against Oxford on Saturday otherwise we’re in deep trouble. Only positive was O’Mahony’s goal and that’s it, PUP. 😡🔹🔷🔵💙 #Pompey

@84Knight: Let’s be honest, if they wanted to, Stoke could have scored at least 10 goals tonight. That’s how bad we were. This is Stoke who had lost 5 of their last 6 games.

@morgantp98: Really hard to talk about this game. We were awful in the first half mistakes all over the pitch. Started the second half worse and by the 58th minute the game was over then we were basically a guest at a stoke passing drill. Saturday is big need to bounce back.

@deanmaskell: Respect to the fans. I wish them a safe fast journey home and 20 loyalty points for each of you

@Hayleyscfc1991: Best fans ive seen down stoke for years. Safe journey home

@jwilson66: No positives to take from this one. As poor a performance as it can get tonight, many issues to address. Reality check for many, piles the pressure onto Saturday & makes that Oxford game feel even bigger

@pompeanut1898: Give them all their money back. The come Saturday, give them & the rest of us a performance & 3 points to be proud of.

@tdog1410: Have to give a shout out to @Pompey fans tonight were class best fans that have been to @stokecity in years. Safe journey home best of luck for the season and hopefully we can do Southampton for you in a few weeks.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

More in Championship