Paul Scholes ‘dropped’ by non league team from 11th tier

Back in September, former Manchester United and England player Paul Scholes made a surprise return to football as he made an appearance for Royton Town – however he has now been ‘dropped’ by the 11th tier club.

Scholes, called it a day professionally in 2013, but after finding out that his son Arron’s team were short of numbers for their fixture at Stockport Georgians, he decided to give them a helping hand.

Check out when he featured in one of their matches, which they lost 1-0, in the videos below…

“We’ve been at full strength,” said Royton Town chairman Gary Leeming as quoted in the Sun. “So he’s not needed.

“At the minute, our manager Mark Howard is telling Paul Scholes that he’s not being picked!”

It’s going well for the club with them currently sat top of the Manchester League Premier Division, winning nine and losing three from twelve games.

Their manager added: “Paul has booked a table for our sportsman’s dinner on December 29!”