fbpx
Connect with us

Non League

Non league player scores in comeback win straight after 140-mile round trip to wrong ground

Non league player Sam Wright scores in his side’s incredible comeback win straight after a 140-mile round trip to wrong the ground.

Quite the story really, Newark Town’s Sam Wright travelled to St Neots Town, mistakenly believing it was the venue for his team’s Sports Ground Development UCL Cup match in September.

Upon arrival, he realised his error; his team was actually playing at home in Newark, Nottinghamshire, then made a frantic drive back to make it to the correct stadium.

When Wright eventually arrived, his team, Newark Town, found themselves trailing 3-0 at half time. However, they produced quite the extraordinary comeback, turning the scoreline around to win 5-3.

Newark Town FC wrote on the 7th of September: “Today Sam drove to St Neots FC and back a total of 140 miles he thought it was an away game 😂

“Comes on in the 71st minute and grabs our last goal to make it 5-3 after we were 3-0 down in the 48 minute. Cool as ice.”

Wright was substituted into the game in the 71st minute, his contribution was not just timely but pivotal and he found the net with his side’s fifth goal in the 88th minute, sealing the comeback win.

Despite his initial error, which might have seen him fined or teased by teammates, Wright’s effort in getting back and his crucial goal likely earned him some leniency, if not outright admiration, for his commitment.

“I got a phone call at meet time saying where is everyone?” said Newark boss Luke Parsons, per Newark Advertiser.

“Well, he knows where we normally are, and then he goes, ‘I’ve messed up, I’m in St Neots’.

“Where we meet quite early, at half past one, he had enough time to get back so he could go on the bench.

“You know what lads are like, there was a bit of ripping into him and saying how you can be so thick and all this stuff.

“It was all laughter and giggles – I think it’ll always be remembered.

“To be fair, if it had been at St Neots, we would probably have put a bus on.

“The fact I didn’t put a postcode in the group chat and I put we were playing at home in blue would have been a giveaway to most people but clearly not everyone!

“I need to be a bit more wiser with the words I put in the group.

“It’s nice that he came on and scored. It completes the rollercoaster ride, doesn’t it?”

He added: “It’s certainly why you enjoy football, days like that,” said Parsons.

“We’ve shown in previous weeks what we’re made of.

“We never say die and we showed that again. We always believe we can get something from the game.

“Most teams would have folded but the instructions were I’d rather lose 4-0 than not give it a go and we got our rewards.

“As soon as it went to 3-3 I said to my skipper we don’t change a thing.

“I said I’m not here to take it to penalties, I’m here to win the game.

“We knew the momentum was going to be with us and we continued to play as if we were 3-0 down and went on to win it.”

To the club’s socials on Wright: “I don’t really know. I just got the phone call from Wrighty, he thought it was away. So yeah. He rang me up and he was an hour and 20 minutes down the road or whatever it is to there.

“So yeah, that wasn’t ideal preparation for us because we had to obviously switch to team. We planned to start him but yeah, I don’t know why.

“Obviously he’s got a big fine coming his way. If we thought it was anyone in our team, you probably put your pound ten worth on Josh Randall. But, yeah.

“I don’t think he’d be doing that again. I think he’ll make sure he reads text and didn’t put a postcode in the group kind of giveaway, because at home. But its gone full circle.

“I thought when we could get him on, he was brilliant. He really pressed on the front foot. He’s lightly quick and his goal was brilliant. And that’s what we asked players when we have a shot following him, Wrighty’s, he’s done that. And I’m pleased for lad because it couldn’t have been nice for him, driving all the way down there and then obviously being late.

“But, yeah, he popped up and I said to him, things happen in football mate where he could go on and score the winner. And he did.”

Here’s how fans reacted as the story continues of the non league player Sam Wright who scores in a comeback win straight after making 140-mile round trip to the wrong ground…

@KeirGale: Yeah but he does know where the goal is!

@pwmcook: Brilliant

@wardy_5: 😂

@southwellcityfc: 🤣🤣

Tony Pollard: Heard it on BBC5 live this morning lol 😆 😂

Steve Booth: Newark all over the world 🌎💙

Shaun Lamb: There’s only one Sammy tom Tom

Lee Townrow: Super Sammy Wright

Milly Coulter: 😂

Steve W Davies photography: Is that a fine for being late.

Francis Towndrow: Brilliant 🏆🥇

Chris Farmer: Outrageous stuff 😂😂

Craig Robertson: Sammy Wright was just way too eager for that goal ⚽️

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

More in Non League