One particular non league club have been left devastated this as their stand is caught on fire as a result of youngsters with fireworks.
Two fire crews, including the incident support unit, were called to the AFC Bridgnorth’s Crown Meadow stadium, around 9:15pm on Thursday night.
Express and Star report how half of a wooden football stand, measuring 40m by 5m, was affected along with 50 metres of conifer hedging.
Bridgnorth Fire Station has confirmed the blaze, which was brought quickly under control, was started by fireworks and it is unclear whether it was malicious or accidental.
Fireworks caused a blaze which damaged one of the stands and hedging at Bridgnorth’s football ground. https://t.co/aE7CnFBb4r
— Shropshire Star (@ShropshireStar) November 13, 2020
Officials at the club, all of whom are volunteers, say they have had problems with youth starting fires and vandalising the ground in the past and have spoken of their frustration about the latest incident.
Mark Weale, club chairman, said: “We had calls to say the club was on fire and we panicked when we first heard.
“When we got down there we found it was an area of trees at the back of the stand at the side of the pitch. The fire brigade got there within three to four minutes.
“It’s caused damage to the back of the stand, although it’s metal so it’s survived.
“The damage appears to be some charring but the seating it okay.
“There’s a lot of youngsters that use the skate park near the ground.
“We’ve had problems with them before and last night I’m told they were letting off fireworks. I don’t know if it was accidental or not, but going out during lockdown to let off fireworks, it’s reckless.
“We are all volunteers and it takes up a lot of our time. It’s extremely frustrating and makes you very angry.”
They wrote in a Twitter post: “Thanks to whom ever called the fire brigade to help save our stand. Luckily they were able to get the fire under control before the stand took. so sad that people don’t see the dangers in fire “
AFC Bridgnorth stand on fire because of some kids with fireworks ?
(Video Credit: AFC Bridgnorth) pic.twitter.com/R4g8Vpobzj
— Jason Lee ?? (@ForeverAYellow) November 14, 2020
A message posted on Bridgnorth Fire Station’s Facebook page said they were faced with a “rapidly developing fire” involving the large conifer hedgerow and a single tier stand.
It read: “The incident commander requested an additional appliance to attend along with an officer.
“Due to the area being very smoky two firefighters in breathing apparatus were deployed using a hose reel jet, along with other firefighters using the high pressure fogging system from our 4×4 vehicle.
“The fire was quickly brought under control, and extinguished.
“The fire was started by fireworks. Unfortunately it’s not clear if this was done accidentally or maliciously.
“Our colleagues from West Mercia Police attended and investigations are ongoing. If you have any information please contact 101.
“Thank you to the football club volunteers who attended to ensure we had a supply of drinks and welfare support.”
Fans reacted after seeing a non league club left devastated as their stand is caught on fire…
Just why……weirdos. So thoughtless and unnecessary
— Debbie (@debsmeek) November 14, 2020
Really sorry to hear that lads, hope you catch the scumbags that did it!
— Brad Hicks (@BradHicks20) November 14, 2020
How substantial is the damage to the stand? Hope the culprits get caught quickly and held to account.
— Dale Skitt (@daleskitt) November 14, 2020
— steve crann (@stevecrann1) November 13, 2020
Any kind of donation page being set up to cover the cost of the damage caused by these morons?
— Dave Rawlings (@drawlings27) November 14, 2020
Sorry to hear this, some complete morons about these days.
— Adam (@adam917487041) November 14, 2020
Hope the idiots are found and punished.
— william clarke (@westonisback) November 13, 2020
Paul Cunningham: Why oh why do people do these things. Places like the football club are a huge part of the community and the people that put themselves out to run the club do not deserve this .
Steve Chase: LockDown might be turning into LockedUp for someone. Absolutely gutted for our club and thank you to all those who raised the alarm and brought it under control ?
Paul Passant: Bloody morons, so many people giving up their time to build up this community asset. I have grandsons in the teams they will be gutted. Hope they catch those responsible and as a warning, any person convicted of Arson the maximum prison term is LIFE.
Marky Mac McIntyre: Really sorry to hear about this, another act of vandalism on the ground. Hope there isnt too much damage.
Julia Jackson: So sorry to see that this has happened at the club ?
Keith Woolley: A lot of young shit about