Millwall fans thanked after raising nearly £10,000 to help repair ambulance car trashed in celebrations

Millwall fans have been thanked after they raised thousands of pounds to repair an ambulance car damaged after England’s World Cup win against Sweden.

The London Ambulance Service was left furious after a minority of supporters jumped on top of the vehicle, denting its bonnet and smashing its windscreen.

Images of young revellers jumping on top of an ambulance car in central London, that had been called to attend a patient shortly after the final whistle, were heavily condemned online.

London Ambulance have also thanked Rainworth ŠKODA in Mansfield after they came forward and offered to fix the car for nothing after seeing the posts.

Earlier this month, Millwall Supporters’ Club presented a cheque of almost £10,000 to London Ambulance Service before their side’s match against Swansea City.

London Ambulance Service Chief Executive Garrett Emmerson said: “We were very humbled by these two acts of generosity, from the Millwall FC Supporters’ Club and from Rainworth ŠKODA.

“The Millwall Supporters’ Club fundraising campaign, and the money donated from people across the world means a lot to me and everyone at London Ambulance Service.

“We are also very grateful to ŠKODA for their generosity in repairing the car so it can be back on the road quickly, going to those in need.

“It is fantastic that the Supporters’ Club agreed that the money they raised could instead go towards restoring an ambulance from our historic collection, which will now be a lasting reminder for years to come of our proud history and Millwall fans’ generosity.”

Kathryn Gale, Chair of the Millwall Supporters’ Club said: “A spur of the moment idea results in a long lasting legacy. Millwall fans can always be relied on to get behind such issues and it was heartening to see how other clubs’ fans supported the cause.

“Good job done, we look forward to seeing how the project progresses.”

After the carnage, social media users vented out their anger at the mindless act, there was also praise for the supporters club’s fundraising – check out those tweets on the next page.