Maidstone United appoint new manager and assistant – causing one club to lose theirs

Maidstone United have this evening confirmed the appointment of former boss John Still as their new manager.

He will be joined by Hakan Hayrettin, who has stepped down as Braintree Town manager to join their National League rivals.

Club chief executive Bill Williams said: “I am absolutely delighted John has agreed to join us.

“He’s one of the best managers to ever grace the non-league game and his record speaks for itself.

“For those who followed the Stones in the 80s, John’s place in our club’s history is assured and now a new generation of our supporters will get to see the enthusiasm, passion and skill this man has for the game.”

Braintree’s statement read: “Hakan Hayrettin has stepped down from his role as first team manager at Braintree Town with immediate effect to join new manager John Still as his number two at Maidstone United.

“When Hakan offered to help in October, we’d won only once in 15 matches and then, with the same players, immediately picked up seven points from the next three games.

“Sadly, with some players not secured on contract, it was then easy for other clubs to tempt some away, and results then suffered. We wish Hakan all the best for the future.”

Fans have given their reaction on the appointment and managerial changes, the majority stunned by the news – take a look at what they had to say on the next page.

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Steve Smith

    25th January 2019 at 10:33 am

    Great appointments. It’s going to be a tough job considering our position but we have one of,if not, the best Managers at this level. I wish John,Hakan & Simon the very best of luck & look forward to getting behind the team & they make the Gallagher a fortress which it hasn’t been so far. COYS