fbpx
Connect with us

Burnley

‘It begins!’ – Fans react as Burnley drop their first transfer announcement video of 2024/25

‘It begins!’ – Fans react as Burnley drop their first transfer announcement video of 2024/25, with Shurandy Sambo joining the club.

The Clarets confirm that the 22 year old right-back has joined from Dutch club PSV Eindhoven, on a four-year deal, and decided to unveil him to a video of Kelvin Fletcher and Oti Mabuse’s Samba on Strictly, with Sambo giving a ’10!’ at the end and corrected them, saying it’s ‘Sambo, not ‘Samba!’.

With the summer transfer window open for business again, this will be the first of many weird and wonderful video announcements from the Championship club and their media team. You can see the newest one, and a collection of their funniest ones below…

BURNLEY STATEMENT:

Dutch defender becomes first summer signing

Burnley Football Club are pleased to confirm the first new signing of the 2024 summer transfer window as right-back Shurandy Sambo arrives on a four-year deal.

The Netherlands U21 international joins the Clarets after his contract with Eredivisie side PSV Eindhoven recently expired.

After making the move to Turf Moor, the 22-year-old full-back said: “I’m very happy to be here and I’m ready to show myself now. I chose Burnley because it’s a historic club with a good fan base and it was the right choice for me.

“The club, the fans, the stadium, the teammates, everything is a part of it and I just felt good instantly and it felt like the right place for me.

“It’s been a good first week in training, the coaches have been really good and everyone around me has helped me settle in already.”

Born in Geldrop, Sambo played his junior career with SV Braakhuizen, before joining PSV Eindhoven.

The defender rose through the ranks at PSV and made his debut for the reserve side ‘Jong PSV’ in January 2020 against Ajax, before making his first team debut a year later in the Eredivisie against FC Utrecht.

With first team action limited at PSV, Sambo joined Sparta Rotterdam on a season-long loan for the 2022/23 campaign, where the right-back played all but four games in the Netherlands top-flight.

After 14 first team appearances after returning to PSV last season following his loan spell away, the Dutchman, who has represented the Netherlands from U15-U21 level, becomes the first signing of the summer.

PSV STATEMENT:

Shurandy Sambo is going to leave PSV after fifteen years. The right-back will join Burnley FC, which will be active in the English EFL Championship next season. Shurandy played a total of fifteen matches for PSV 1. He signs for four years with the Brits.

Geldrop-born Shurandy Ruggerio Sambo started at PSV Academy in the 2008-2009 season. His professional career took off eleven years later, when he appeared at the kickoff of Young PSV – Jong Ajax. The following season, the speedy defender, with 35 games, 6 goals and 5 assists, grew into an important force for the promising team. Then a serious injury temporarily threw a spanner in the works.

In the 2022-2023 season, Shurandy was leased to Sparta Rotterdam, where ‘Shu’ accounted for 36 games, 2 goals and 1 assist. This football year, the right back was part of PSV 1. With the national championship and the Johan Cruijff Schaal in his pocket, Shurandy now opts for a new adventure.

“I would like to thank all the staff and supporters of PSV for fifteen wonderful years,” he reveals. “Fifteen years that have shaped me into who I am today. From the youngest youth I strived to make the A-selection. That this succeeded and was crowned with a championship feels like a boyhood dream. I wish PSV all the best and hope that many more successes will follow.”

Director of Football Affairs Earnest Stewart understands that the 22-year-old defender is spreading his wings. “Shurandy had to beat Jordan Teze this season. He filled that role well. We understand that he wants to get more minutes at this stage of his career, which is why we honor his desire to leave. I am confident that he will have a very nice career ahead of him.”

‘It begins!’ – Fans react as Burnley drop their first transfer announcement video of 2024/25…

@USA_UTC: We are unfathomable amounts of back

@n19drk: HMS Piss the league is ready to set off again

@Tatty87941: We’re backkkkkkk

@Shawn_Hoagland: Let’s. GO #UTC

@FPL__Courtney: Burnley have the best announcement videos for signings

@TheHuddleYT: hahaha well played …. but if the fans arnt shouting “Go On Shandy” ill be astounded lol

@reynamary_: No one does it better than Burnley🔥

@bfccalbooth: No Gaffer but transfer announcements are still on form.

@CarlyOnYouSpurs: this is so good damnit @SpursOfficial do something 😭😭😭😭😭😭

@JstAnotherDevil: TRANSFER SEASON IS UNDERWAY!

@OfficialVizeh: And the summer OFFICIALLY begins 🇳🇱🕺

@Jw95Kieran: It appears the ovens are finally on at Burnley.. Cooking season has started. #twitterclarets

@JacobHorsfall_: We are so back.

@gmbarnard22: i love this time of year

@Oliviaingham17: Oh we’re so back baby✨😍

@Osc_W87: Already got a chant here SAMBO! DE VITINHO DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUB DUH DUH DUH DUH

@snamiooo: champions again ole ole

@Claretceri: Back on it even with no manager 😂

@foreverayellow: burnley’s media team smashing it again haha can’t wait to see how Sambo gets on

HIS SIT DOWN INTERVIEW WITH BURNLEY:

Interviewer: Welcome to Burnley, we can finally officially announce you now, so how does it feel that you are officially a Burnley football player?

Sambo: Yeah thank you, I’m happy to be here, yeah I want to show myself and I think that’s the, I chose Burnley because yeah it’s a good club, history club, I look at the games and yeah was I was happy to make the choice for Burnley.

Interviewer: Tell us a little bit about you as a as a player first of all what can we expect from you on the pitch

Sambo: I’m a right back uh going forward give assist and goals and also defensive I’m strong and I want to help the team yeah for the best result

Interviewer: Tell us about you as a person what do you like to do what sort of person are you?

Sambo: I think I’m a good person my quiet, yeah, outside with guys chilling, do stuff with that and also with my family for me that’s the most important thing to to take care of your family and do a lot of nice thing with them

Interviewer: When we first met when you first came to have a look around Turf Moore and here again today your family are here it is clear that they are important to you why why is it so special cuz some players just rock up and we we never even see their their families but very close for you, explain that…

Sambo: Yeah I think that’s the for me that’s the journey when I start football they’re also with me and the whole journey I want to take him also with me and that they can see like what the journey is and for me that’s I think that’s the important thing why I bring them also here

Interviewer: The one big thing here at Burnley as well is that they both people who work for the football club and the fans as well all consider themselves to be one big family as well, did you look at that before you came was that important to you as well in terms of the relationship with the fans and the club and the player?

Sambo: Yes, I think it’s in general is everything, the club, the fans, the teammates, the staff, everything is important for me and the feeling was directly good and I was like okay I want to play here and I make the choice

Interviewer: You’ve had a few days at the training ground out as well done all your testing a bit on the pitch as well how has that been yeah it was been good the guys are really good the trainers as well everybody around me is yeah they everybody want to help me and that’s a great welcome and I’m happy to be here and I want to give everything for the club

Interviewer: I know it’s not like school but in some ways when you go in there it’s sort you know you’re meeting new friends and everything like that so have you gravitated towards anyone is there anyone that you’ve got a connection with already here

Sambo: Yeah you know Oba, Luca, and of course uh I know more players like Maxime, that’s good to have friends already

Interviewer: Did you speak to them before you came here?

Sambo: Yeah

Interviewer: What what did they tell you about Burnley?

Sambo: Yeah they talk like they are good fans great family everybody around is good that’s that was the things what they say

Interviewer: So we know a little bit about you as a as a person and as a player but what about your ambitions so you’re here now what do you want to achieve with Burnley and maybe even what’s the bigger picture for you perhaps nationally

Sambo: Yeah for me like yeah to play everything and of course grow as a player but for the club of course also win every game and go soon as possible back to the Premier League because like last season was yeah they go back to the Championship but in the second half of of the season they were playing better and better I was like okay, Burnley is a Premier League club, you can see that if you look at the games, and for me that’s the thing I want to bring them also to the Premier League

Interviewer: And we’ll end as you’ve mentioned with the fans and your family I suppose as well so you you have a camera there you’ve got a direct link to the Burnley supporters both here in Lancashire and all around the world as well what would you like to say just finally to them

Sambo: You’re welcome I’m in Burnley now as a Bly player I’m going to give everything and uh you’re going to see me soon

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

More in Burnley