More matches postponed due to impact of storm leaving grounds wrecked

More Premier League fixtures have been postponed it’s confirmed ahead of what is set to be a packed out fixture schedule in midweek.

The league officials had been expected to decide whether Tottenham’s trip to Covid-stricken Aston Villa on Wednesday should be postponed and replaced by Spurs’s home game against Fulham on the same night. Late notice right?

As of 1pm on Monday, Aston Villa can confirm that Wednesday’s scheduled fixture with Tottenham Hotspur has been postponed.

ASTON VILLA STATEMENT:

The Club has been in dialogue with the Premier League and Public Health England since the training ground was closed last Thursday following a significant Covid-19 outbreak among first team players and staff.

The club would like to thank the Premier League, Public Health England and Tottenham Hotspur for their understanding of our unprecedented and unique situation.

Our Premier League fixture against Everton has now been rescheduled for Sunday, January 17 (ko 12noon).

The Club continues to wish those affected by the virus a speedy recovery.

As most of us know, Villa’s entire first-team squad and staff have been forced to go into isolation after a “significant” number of positive cases.

www.fanbanter.co.uk - Fan reaction to the latest football news, gossip & funnies

SPURS STATEMENT:

We can confirm that our fixture against Aston Villa, due to take place on Wednesday 13 January, has been postponed.

Our previously postponed home fixture against Fulham, originally scheduled for 30 December 2020, will now take place on the same evening (Wednesday 13 January), kick-off 8.15pm on Amazon Prime Video.

The Premier League informed us of the decision following a request by Aston Villa on the grounds of the number of their players and staff who have either tested positive for COVID-19 or have been placed in isolation.

Everyone at Tottenham Hotspur sends their best wishes to Aston Villa for a safe and speedy recovery to all those who are affected.

Details of a new date for our match at Villa Park will be confirmed in due course.

www.fanbanter.co.uk - Fan reaction to the latest football news, gossip & funnies

FULHAM STATEMENT:

Fulham’s fixture away to Tottenham Hotspur – originally scheduled for December 30th – will now be played this week, on Wednesday 13th January, kick-off 8.15pm.

The match will be broadcast live on Amazon Prime Video.

Additionally, the SW6 derby has been moved back a day, so we will now host Chelsea at Craven Cottage on Saturday 16th January, 5.30pm, live on Sky Sports. - Statement ends

Their youngsters were mroe famously played out in Friday’s FA Cup tie against Liverpool, with Louie Barry getting on the goal sheet before the Reds hit four past them.

The Premier League are not willing to let Dean Smith's side to use their Under-18s and U-23s against Spurs, believing it would damage the integrity of the competition, while the precedent for calling off matches after widespread outbreaks has already been established this season.

Villa are unable to play out the fixture, the League are considering replacing it with Spurs’s home game against Fulham, which was postponed on the 30th of December following an outbreak at the west London club.

Fulham are thought to be unhappy at that possibility, having played 120 minutes against QPR in the FA Cup on Saturday and with Chelsea set to visit Craven Cottage this Friday. Tight schedule like.

The Cottagers argue that rearranging the trip to Spurs would leave them at a competitive disadvantage, particularly as they were not informed of the possibility before Saturday’s cup tie.

One option would be to push Chelsea’s visit back to Saturday to give Scott Parker’s side an extra day’s rest, with a final decision expected later on Monday afternoon.

Manager Jose Mourinho has said it would be “completely impossible” to postpone the match at Villa Park, which would leave his side with three fixtures to rearrange, having also had a League fixture postponed due to reaching the Carabao Cup Final on the 25th of April.

It is possibly why he is expecting the encounter on Wednesday to go ahead as usual, however as we saw a little while ago, they had a postponed due to Covid just hours before kick off.

Spurs are also through to the Europa League last-32 and reached the FA Cup fourth round with a 5-0 win over Marine, leaving them with precious few free dates in which to complete rearranged fixtures.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44