Hartlepool fans reveal why the attendance last night hit the lowest in 20 years

Hartlepool United, who sacked Matthew Bates yesterday, suffered their lowest home league attendance in 20 years last night when they lost out 2-1 to AFC Fylde in the National League.

1,721 came through the gates of Victoria Park yesterday, a drop of 152 from their FA Cup clash against Gillingham earlier this month.

(above photo by a.grover7 on Instagram from Tuesday night)

The current attendances are a huge decrease from the 3,000 or so they were bringing in at the start of the 2018/19 season.

Hartlepool Mail state that “Seven of the 11 home league games this season have seen more than 3,000 fans through the gates and the club has sold more than 2,000 season tickets.”

Following the Pools’ defeat on Tuesday, their sixth in a row, the club revealed that they had given him the axe.

The club statement read: “Hartlepool United can announce that Matthew Bates has left his role as First Team Manager at The Super 6 Stadium with immediate effect.

“The Club would like to place on record its thanks to Matthew for all his hard work and, in particular, the role he played in helping steer the team clear of danger during difficult circumstances last season.”

Chairman Raj Singh added: “I want to thank Matthew for all his hard work and dedication,” said Singh.

“The job he did last season in ensuring this Club remained in the division should not be underestimated, especially given the difficult circumstances he was working under.

“It was absolutely vital for our long-term plans that we remained at National League level and all fans should be grateful that Matthew stood up and took on that challenge in the manner he did.

“He leaves the Club with our very best wishes and we hope he goes on to enjoy a successful career in management.”

Fans have been asked what they would put the low crowds down to – take a look at what they have been saying on the next page.