Connect with us


Hartlepool boss charged and fined by the FA

Hartlepool United boss Dave Challinor has been charged and fined by the FA for what happened during their side’s meeting with Ebbsfleet United.

He was shown a straight red card for an incident that came following Pools’ 1-0 defeat at Victoria Park in what ended up being his side’s last home National League match of the 2019-20 season.

Two separate allegations of racist abuse were made, though it has been four months on and there has been no further comments made on it.

Players from both teams squaring up – with mascot H’Angus the Monkey even getting involved.

Pools manager Dave Challinor was given a red card by referee Aaron Jackson, who appeared to lose control of the trouble unfolding on the pitch.

As reported by the Northern Echo and Hartlepool Mail, one fan from the Neale Cooper Stand got onto the pitch, only to end up being dragged away from the opposition players, who were squaring up to other supporters.

Ebbsfleet United player Jermaine McGlashan, who has since been released, revealed on social media that he suffered racist abuse during the game, these claims then riled up a huge numbers of fans in various Facebook groups.

He wrote on Twitter: “Class from the few Hartlepool players that came to see how I was today after being racially abused not for the first time in a game, no room whatsoever for it & hope it gets dealt with accordingly! @kickitout”

He is said to have pointed towards one of the stands when speaking to the referee and fourth official.

Keeper Jordan Holmes was also in discussions with the officials, which delayed Ebbsfleet’s penalty on 80 minutes, which was eventually scored and went on to be the winner.

An announcement was made over the tannoy, as part of the anti-racism protocol, which followed the penalty.

Kevin Watson said: “I didn’t hear anything at all and we are miles away from where the allegations were made: one from our goalkeeper behind the goal, one from the far side involving Jermaine McGlashan. I’ve not heard anything so can’t comment.

“I will say they are both very good lads and while we were winning I would not want any more time to be added – the last thing we wanted was nine minutes.

“It’s been reported, both by myself and Dave (Challinor) with the officials. They followed the protocol to call us over, then a tannoy announcement and then see the referee afterwards.

“I don’t think you report something like that unless it happened.

“I’ve spoke to both players. Jordan immediately run over as it came from behind the goal. He can’t see or identify anyone with his back to the crowd.”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by hartlepoolunited (@hartlepoolunited) on

Hartlepool United boss Dave Challinor said back in March: “We lost and there’s been allegations. I‘ve heard nothing and things will be dealt without of my control. That’s where we are at.

“The players are disappointed at losing the game. We control what we can control and to a degree we did that today.

“But we aren’t sat here with three points and we will concentrate on winning games.

“Next we will deal with it, put reports in and that’s as far as it goes. I can’t control those things, it’s bigger than what I am. I’m in charge of managing my dressing room.

“The referee’s control over the whole game wasn’t great, not what we can affect and the referee has been quite open and honest which is refreshing.

“For me, over 500 games as a player and over 500 as a manager and it’s a first. I will look at what’s gone on. It’s handbags, I’ve tried to solve a problem with their players going over and antagonising a volatile situation.

“Does he think I’ve said something to him? There’s a coming together with no great action. The linesman says he sees something and the referee reacts to that.

“Have I don’t anything? No. Had their player done anything? No. I’m sure he will appeal and I will to.

“I can’t comment any further on that, I really can’t.”

Another quoted from the manager, reported by Hartlepool Mail, was: “I’m adamant in the fact that I’ve done nothing in terms of violent conduct or whatever it is reported as, so we’ll see where that is and see what the wording of the report is that we get.

“I spoke to the referee and linesman after the game and it was the linesman who reported seeing something with the Ebbsfleet player.

“I’m not going to sit here and lie because I know there are videos out there and I’m comfortable with where I am in my situation.

“We will see what comes back and act upon that.”

The report claimed Challinor was in breach of FA Rule E3 involving violent or improper conduct on the field of play, something of which he denies.

The personal hearing failed to prove the manager’s innocence as he was charged, fined £300 and given a three-match touchline ban which comes into effect for the first match of the 2020-21 season.

Obileye, who was sent off alongside Challinor, chose not to appeal the decision and was also given the same ban back in March.

Fans took to social media to give their thoughts after hearing that the Hartlepool boss was charged and fined by the FA…

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Uncategorized