Connect with us


Harrogate manager FURIOUS after re-arranged Barnet clash is abandoned at half time

Harrogate Town manager Simon Weaver has been left furious after his side’s re-arranged Barnet clash is abandoned at half time last night.

The National League fixture had originally been due to be played on Saturday, however it was then postponed due a waterlogged pitch, causing it to be hastily re-arranged even though the bad weather was set to continue.

As soon as the game kicked off, the heavens opened, and it certainly soaked up on the playing surface at The Hive Stadium, and like you can see in the above video, it got to a point where the ball didn’t bounce.

The first half of the game played out to a 1-1 draw, then referee Gary Parsons thought it was only right to call the game off.

Weaver accepted the official’s decision, but insisted that the match shouldn’t have been re-arranged for Tuesday evening.

He said: “I think logic has to play a part sometimes.

“People want games on, and we all wanted to play tonight, but looking at the Met Office, they don’t often get it wrong. The forecasts these days are very accurate, there was a strong chance of rain from 7pm and the pitch just wasn’t gonna hold that rain.

“If it’s not gonna hold light rain, then the game should never have gone ahead.

“It’s a fair judgement at half-time to call it off because if the ball can’t bounce or roll then it’s not a proper football game.

“It’s just frustrating, frustrating for fans who’ve taken half a day off work, and we have to come down here again now. It’s the expense of it all and we won’t be recompensed.

“It’s disappointing.

“I thought it was daft to be honest but they [Barnet] said there was a strong chance of the game being on because they had people on the pitch with forks and wind-blowers, but they needed more than that, let’s be honest.

“They should have looked at the forecast and should have booked it in for the 24th [of March] as originally proposed, but someone had a re-think on Sunday and, in hindsight, it was a daft decision.

“Safety has to be looked at. A little top up of rain and it was unplayable and dangerous for the players. That’s got to be looked at rather than just trying to squeeze games in.

“They needed to get lucky for the game to be played and they didn’t. Now it’s wrecked their pitch and we’ll have to come down and do it all again.”

On the game, he added: “I can be pleased with the efforts of the players, it was a really positive performance and we could have gone in 3-1 or 4-1 up,” he said.

“I thought we were playing very well. I thought there were some major decisions that were going against us – two blatant penalty decisions not given, it’s laughable.

“We didn’t turn up for the battle last year and didn’t perform, but we were certainly performing there, 1-0 up after 20 seconds.

“I think it shows that we are ready to do battle with anyone.”

Fans gave a furious reaction just like the Harrogate manager after the clash against Barnet is abandoned…

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Barnet