Former Premier League defender Pascal Chimbonda signs for 11th tier side

Former Premier League defender Pascal Chimbonda has signed for a new club – in the 11th tier of English football.

Pascal now plays his football for Northern Alliance Premier Division side AFC Killingworth, where he will be the club’s player-coaching role.

He has played for a whole list of teams including Wigan Athletic, Tottenham Hotspur, Sunderland, Blackburn Rovers, QPR and Doncaster. Just last season he was at Northern League Division One side Washington.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Retro Fotball Ретро Футбол (@footballretrophotos) on

As quoted in Non League Daily’s article, AFC Killingworth manager Dean Nicholson said, “We have a quite strong Washington contingent from last season and he has kept in contact.”

“He was obviously clubless and played pre-season for Blyth (Spartans). We were then approached and as soon as we heard the potential of it happening it was a no-brainer for us.”

“I went to go watch him play a few times at Washington and he was the best player on the pitch by some way,” he added. As long as he puts performances like I saw last year he will play week in and week out – hopefully he will help us push towards the top of the division.

“The ambition of the club is to get into the Northern League at least in the next 12 to 24 months and Pascal is going to play a massive part in that as far as on and off the pitch is concerned.”

Chimbonda made his debut for AFC Killingworth in a 8-1 cup victory over Whitley Bay A yesterday.

Since the announcement was made from the club, social media users gave their reaction, however some joked that it was time for the player to hang up his boots – check out those comments on the next page.