Former Premier League defender Pascal Chimbonda signs for 10th tier side

Former Premier League defender Pascal Chimbonda has signed for a new club – in the 10th tier of English football.

Pascal now plays his football for North West Counties League Division One North side Ashton Town, but it isn’t the first time he’s had a taste of non league action.

He has played for a whole list of teams including Wigan Athletic, Tottenham Hotspur, Sunderland, Blackburn Rovers, QPR and Doncaster. But in the last two seasons, he’s been with Northern League Division One side Washington and Northern Alliance Premier League side AFC Killingworth.

Club chairman Mark Hayes told Wigan Today: “I first met Pascal when he came over last May to play in my annual Joseph’s Goal Legends game.

“And he did not hesitate to sign when asked to help promote this year’s game and to strengthen our team, signing on initially for one month.

“His signing comes at a pefect time as our squad is just settling after getting used to North West Counties football again following our one season in the Cheshire League.

“It’s a huge boost for the club, and one that I hope Wigan Athletic fans will come and support.’

Ashton Town manager Dave Dempsey said: “To have a player with the experience and knowledge from the top level of English football is a dream come true.

“We are all extremely excited to have Pascal join our group, and we are sure he will give the players and the club alike a sense of excitement in the coming weeks.

“We can only thank our chairman for getting this one over the door for us.”

Since the announcement was made from the club, social media users gave their reaction with the majority shocked at the news – check out those comments on the next page.