After Harry Kane scored the winner for England against Tunisia last night, a theory has been spread around on social media as to why Kieran Trippier didn’t celebrate with the players.
As the England squad jumped on top of their captain off the field, Trippier jogged back on his own before stopping just inside the Tunisia half.
According to some on Twitter, there was good reason for why he didn’t celebrate.
They claimed that FIFA rules state that should all outfield players leave the field of play to celebrate a goal, the opposition are allowed to kick off.
As a result, Trippier’s presence on the field of play prevented Tunisia from having a run on Jordan Pickford’s goal.
However, despite this theory being widely shared on social media, it is actually untrue.
For the benefit of doubt…
This images are from England vs Tunisia #Worldcup game.. This has been happening, but just that football fans never take note. Ronaldo does this plenty of times but football fans never knew the 'why'.
— The Football Arena (@BantsFootballFC) June 18, 2018
Law 8 in Fifa’s Laws of the Game document seems to say different…
For every kick-off:
- All players, except the player taking the kick-off, must be in their own half of the field of play
- The opponents of the team taking the kick-off must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball until it is in play
- The ball must be stationary on the centre mark
- The referee gives a signal
- The ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves
- A goal may be scored directly against the opponents from the kick-off; if the ball directly enters the kicker’s goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opponents
This means Trippier’s decision to remain on the pitch during the celebrations are irrelevant.
The theory started a few days ago when the same thing happened after Ronaldo scored his free-kick against Spain…
— SB (@Realmadridplace) June 17, 2018
So as the FIFA rules have ruled that theory out, it has still got us questioning why could they possibly be doing this?
Take a look at how social media reacted to Trippier not celebrating and the player’s brilliant performance on the next page.Like what the Fan Banter have on offer? Sign up for more notifications!
Pages: 1 2