Favourites for Wrexham manager

After Sam Ricketts left Wrexham for Shrewsbury Town yesterday, we’ve taken a look at who are favourites for the job at the Racecourse Ground.

The former Oxford United, Swansea, Hull City, Bolton Wanderers, Wolves and Coventry defender was in his first ever spell as manager for Wrexham, and since he took over in May, he has impressed taking the Welsh side to 4th in the National League.

WREXHAM CLUB STATEMENT:

Following an approach from Shrewsbury Town we did everything possible to retain his services, however, once this interest became known, Sam expressed his desire to speak to them regarding their vacancy.

Shrewsbury Town triggered elements in Sam’s contract enabling them to approach him and at that point we were obliged to allow him to speak to them.

Following his discussions with Shrewsbury Town, Sam informed us of his intention to take up their vacant manager’s position on Saturday morning and in the best interests of Wrexham AFC, we asked him not to attend our FA Cup second round fixture versus Newport County on Saturday night.

Wrexham AFC are in a strong position after 22 league games of the 2018-19 season. We would like to thank Sam for his efforts and for the work he did while at the football club.

We are fully focused on further improving upon this situation going forward. Wrexham AFC have already begun the process to appoint Sam’s successor with Graham Barrow taking charge of the first team on an interim basis.

We will make further announcements regarding this matter as soon as possible.

Wrexham AFC will be making no further comment at this stage.

Take a look at who are the top six favourites below and on the next page.

6th) JOHN ASKEY

John Askey was a former player and manager of Macclesfield Town. He left the Silkmen for League One Shrewsbury Town, like Ricketts has just done, earlier this year, however after a dismal start, he was axed after five months.

Askey won the National League in 2017/18 and was runners up with Macc Town in the FA Trophy in 2016/17.

Current odds on Sky Bet: 10/1

5th) ANDY MORRELL

Morrell is a former Wrexham player (1998-2003 & 2010-2014) and manager (2011-2014). He guided Wrexham to FA Trophy glory in 2012-13 and picked up a few Manager of the Month awards. As a player he helped Blackpool to the 2006/07 League One playoffs.

He told the BBC: “I’ll have a think about it and see if it’s worthwhile, I don’t know if they would consider it,” Morrell said.

“I might throw my hat in the ring if the wife and me believe that it’s not a bad move for me in my career.

“I had a fantastic time at Wrexham when I was manager and I think I’m a better manager now than I was when I took over there.”

Current odds on Sky Bet: 8/1

4th) SHAUN DERRY

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Cambridge United Football Club (@cambridgeunitedfc) on

Shaun Derry is currently first-team coach at Oxford United, who are trying to keep away from the League One relegation zone.

He has previously managed Notts County and Cambridge United.

Current odds on Sky Bet: 7/1

Take a look at the top three favourites on the next page.