Connect with us

AFC Bournemouth

David Brooks opens up on cancer diagnosis, how he’s getting on and his return to football

David Brooks opens up on his cancer diagnosis, how he’s getting on these days in recovery and his long awaited return to football.

The 25 year old returned to the pitch at Aston Villa, completing a journey that had been 535 days in the making.

Both sets of fans rose to their feet and applauded the Welsh winger who replaced Adam Smith in the second half.

Brooks was in a good place, having recovered from Hodgkin lymphoma and a serious injury to his hamstring.

He talks about his symptoms, chemotherapy, and his family’s unwavering support in an interview conducted for the first time after his diagnosis.

Brooks was told of the news in October 2021. He was on international duty for Wales, ahead of World Cup qualifying matches with Czech Republic and Estonia.

He recalled how a request for Paracetamol led to his diagnosis: “They do the medical checks at the start of camp, and I just asked for paracetamol, because I was struggling to sleep.

“I had the conversation with the doctor, I’d been having night sweats and I’d just lost about six or seven kilograms in a week. I went back to my room like nothing had happened.

“I got a knock on the door around 20 minutes later and the doctor obviously didn’t want to do it in front of the lads but every side effect I’d told him, he’d highlighted as a cancer symptom!”

In just 24 hours Brooks had blood tests, a biopsy and doctors warned him that he could be diagnosed with cancer.

He continued: “Without being given the full diagnosis, the doctor had said it appeared to be what they thought it was and you need to prepare yourself for that news, if and when it comes.

“My dad and my girlfriend, Flora, came to the meeting and I’d already seen my dad cry prior to that, Flora was very upset at the time. It’s very difficult to stay composed in that situation but I didn’t really let it out until I was alone.

“The first conversation we had, it was all positive but at the end of the day, they’re medical professionals and have a duty to tell me about the risks and the possible outcomes.

“With Hodgkin’s lymphoma, over half of people have six months of chemotherapy and it’s done but there’s a percentage that don’t get the good news at the end and you have to be prepared if that news comes.”

The Cherries star underwent a course of chemotherapy as treatment began to get underway, with his family in support throughout.

He described: “I’d go in once every two weeks. It usually takes three to four hours via a drip, which pumps in the drugs that kills all the cells in your body really.

“There were all sorts of complications, I had to get two peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC) lines so I had two tubes dangling out of my arm for six months, which is a bit of an inconvenience. I was always positive but it was a tough experience.

“Chemo was a bit misleading to start with. With the first session, it wasn’t terrible. It hits harder for the second and third and got more progressive from there.

“The difficult thing was that in the two-week period between sessions, you’d only start to feel better a few days before the next treatment. I’d have the chemotherapy on the Monday, I’d feel horrendous and be unable to get out of bed the next week, slowly start to move but not feel great for the next few days and then just when you start to feel alright, you have to go back in to do it all over again. It was different type of life than what I’m used to.

“Flora used to come with me to every single chemo and she’d be sat there just having to watch it. I’d try to fall asleep just so I wouldn’t be sick in the hospital, I didn’t want to be ill. She was amazing, it’s a difficult situation and no-one wants to be involved in something like that. She drove me wherever I needed to go, she looked after me, she saw the worst part of me.”

In May 2022, doctors gave the final all-clear. He made the announcement on the day the Cherries were promoted to the Premier League.

“It was a bit of a weird day [when I was given the all-clear]. I woke up and I was supposed to go to a meeting in the afternoon to find out what the results were.

“They called me and just said we can do it on the phone, so it was out of the blue when I found out! It was very nice, a few tears in the house from the parents and the missus. I was just over the moon that it had worked.

“My parents used to come down for every single chemo, they were a lot more worried than I think I was. It was pure relief for them when they were given the news!

“I used to go watch the games, but I didn’t feel that great. For the Nottingham Forest game, it was six weeks since my last treatment, so I felt better.

“I remember celebrating for 10 to 15 minutes and then had to sit down because I was completely out of breath! It was so good for the fans to do what they did [by singing my name], it was a great night.”

Brooks’ journey wasn’t over just yet. He still had a long way to go to get himself fit again. Brooks suffered a serious injury to his hamstring in a match with Brentford.

He said: “I had six months of doing absolutely nothing – I could barely walk going up and down the stairs, I was absolutely knackered. I was basically sleeping and doing nothing.

“I had lost six or seven kilos to go down to 65kg, which is ridiculously low, and after treatment, I think I was 86kg. With all the steroids and all the food I’d been eating, I needed to shift all that weight and add muscle before I could even think about being back on the football pitch again.

“I’d done three months of hard work and got to a situation where I’d been close to a matchday squad. I played in a development squad game and my hamstring just popped.

“I’d never had a muscle injury before. Every expert was telling me to take it slow and there were still going to be effects from the chemo.

“It dawned on me that my body might not be the same and I might not be able to do what I’ve dreamt all my life to do, which was a difficult thought. However, I never stopped trying and thankfully my body pulled itself together.”

In March 2023, he returned to action in a match at Villa Park. Brooks’ comeback continued with a stellar performance by the Development Squad, scoring three goals within 12 minutes of a 5-2 victory over Portsmouth.

The winger is ready to take on the remainder of the season after he added more minutes during the Brighton home match.

This is what fans ad to say as David Brooks opens up on his cancer diagnosis, how he’s getting on and his return to football…

@JonesYrWyddgrug: Inspirational David 👏 This type of interview must be very difficult to do but so important as it will help other people. You’re a fantastic role model. Can’t wait to see you in a @Cymru shirt again 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿⚽️💪👏

@Mikechapmanone: Cymru am byth ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

@RickAKenya: He’s back !! Brilliant !!

@sonny04114458: Gonna watch this now my aim is not to cry will update you if I do

@DeborahSkroch: Incredibly brave and honest interview. It is so wonderful to see you back on the pitch @DRBrooks15.

@leannechets: Absolute legend.

@evz76: Great to see him healthy and playing again.

@EmmaElliott2002: Wishing him all the best in remission. My daughter was diagnosed with stage 4b Hodgkin’s after horrendous pain that medication didn’t touch… we were told she had indigestion. Forever grateful to a physiotherapist who listened.

@Floydy_Stu: I wish the lad nothing but the best of luck in the future

@ioanstephens: Sounds like he was lucky to find out that he had it when he did, rather than further down the line, glad he’s gotten the all clear

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in AFC Bournemouth