fbpx
Connect with us

Championship

Chris Rigg, 17, turns down Premier League interest to sign his first pro contract at Sunderland

Chris Rigg, 17, turns down Premier League interest to sign his first pro contract at his current club Sunderland.

The England U17 captain has stayed loyal, deciding to sign a three year deal with the Black Cats until 2027, and it’s a big financial commitment for not just the club, but also for Rigg to remain where he is.

Rigg started eight games in the Championship for the 2023/24 season while featuring 22 times in all competitions, scoring 3 goals.

The likes of Liverpool, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd and Newcastle had reportedly been linked with a move, but Sunderland convinced him to stay at the club by signing an extension.

Interviewer: Chris before we get on to talk about your new contract, how are the driving lessons going?

Chris: It’s going well so far, I’ve had one, I’ll be passing, so hopefully I can be driving to the Stadium of Light soon

Interviewer: Rather importantly you now red and white till 2027 first off how does that feel um

Chris: Absolutely buzzing to be honest with you like competent into words just been dying to sign it uh for the year now so yeah absolutely buzzing

Interviewer: Speaking quite plainly this wasn’t going to be your only option over the summer so what why have you decided to commit your future to Sunderland?

Chris: I just want to develop as a player to be honest with you um I think I’ve still got so much more in my game I can develop, I still want to play play minutes like I did to the end of last season and just like I mentioned in another interview just try and hit them targets

Interviewer: You’ve been at the academy like for quite some time as well obviously trajectory has been it’s been quite fast paced but what’s been significant about the academy, what’s it been how how important has it been to you?

Chris: The Academy has been so important to me and I think all the staff have been unbelievable with me the stuff haven’t changed much as well so it’s helped me a lot I know everyone in the building I know all the players so yeah um that’s mainly just for the backroom stuff I do all the work every day

Interviewer: In terms of your development as well everyone in within the squad within the coaching staff has played a key role within that as well

Chris: Yeah of course that’s the main thing isn’t it just just getting better as a player and uh get better as a person that’s all I think I’ve improved as a person so so that’s the main thing

Interviewer: All these things have led to you now getting your professional contract a really proud day for you and also a really proud there for your family as well

Chris: Yeah of course I think every boy dreams of been a professional footballer one day and I’m just so lucky for for it to be at this club

Interviewer: Lots of records broken over the years, the youngest player in Sunderland’s history, the youngest goal scorer in Sunderland’s history, many more records to be achieved hopefully

Chris: That’s the aim, fingers crossed yeah

Interviewer: So what happens now some crucial summer months to come ahead of a new campaign as well

Chris: Yeah of course we’re working hard in preseason trying to get some more minutes on on my belt and then hopefully I can cement my place in the squad

It was on the 7th of January 2023 that Chris Rigg became Sunderland’s youngest-ever outfield player at 15 years and 203 days, and the second youngest player in Sunderland history, behind Derek Forster.

He made his professional debut in the game against Shrewsbury Town on the 7th of January 2023, coming on as a substitute for Édouard Michut in a 2–1 victory.

Following his debut, Rigg was promoted to the first team, having to train with the squad only one or two days a week while he had still in school.

Rigg’s second appearance came in the in the FA Cup round after against Fulham, replacing Patrick Roberts in the 86th minute, and in injury time, with the score at 1–1, he scored, only to have it ruled out with Abdoullah Ba, of whom Rigg received the ball from, being offside.

Rigg netted his first competitive goal for Sunderland in an Carabao Cup tie against Crewe Alexandra on the 8th of August 2023, becoming Sunderland’s youngest ever goalscorer, but also the youngest goalscorer in the competition’s history.

The on the 2nd of September, he scored on his league debut against Southampton, netting the fifth goal in a 5–0 home win, becoming Sunderland’s youngest ever league goalscorer, breaking a record held by Jimmy Hamilton for over half a century.

“This has been a dream come true for me. To see my name in the starting XI was a surreal moment,” Rigg said a few months back to the club’s media.

It was Interim Head Coach, Mike Dodds, who handed the midfielder his first league start against former Premier League champions Leicester City.

“I was eight years old when Jamie Vardy and Leicester won the Premier League and now I’m chasing him down to win the ball back,” he continued.

“I don’t tend to think about who I am playing against too much because I aim to go out there and compete at the highest level and give everything for Sunderland but that was a bit surreal.

“We are disappointed with the defeat, and I believe we deserved a lot more from the game, but I really enjoy playing at the Stadium of Light and in front of our supporters.

“There are positives to take, especially from the second half. We played with intensity that gives us a foundation to take into the next game.”

It has been a season to remember for the Academy of Light graduate who has also found his feet on the international scene, representing England at the U17 World Cup in Indonesia.

“If someone told me all of this would happen at the start of the campaign, I’d have bitten their hand off.

“Doddsy spoke to me before the game and just said enjoy it. This is a real privilege for me. It is what I have dreamt of for a very long time.

“I am so grateful for the opportunities and hope there are many more to come.”

Chris Rigg becomes Sunderland’s youngest ever league goalscorer in 5-0 win over Southampton

This is what fans had to say as Chris Rigg, 17, turns down Premier League interest to sign his first pro contract at Sunderland…

@sunderlandafc11: Congratulations young man! Shown great desire and a down to earth lad. Big things to come!! Haway the lads

@mcsake: Come on chrissy lad 🔴⚪️🔴⚪️ 100% needed this Well done Safc for getting this baller on board. Can’t wait to see more of this lad on the pitch next season.

@MagpieGroupNUFC: A good stepping stone before he joins a big club 🖤🤍🖤

@KenFarn2Farn: Well done Chris, awarded on merit and hard work, more importantly an abundance of quality and excellent standards Haway the Lads 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

@guffsafc73: Good lad.

@leskayo58: Boy to man Sunderland through and through 👏🏻👏🏻 we love you 🔴⚪️

@blamirelewis: You love to see it! Well deserved Riggy lad, looking forward to seeing you kick on next season

@sammie_k1599: Come on chrissy lad. The boy knows ❤️🤍❤️🤍❤️🤍

@CalSAFCFTM: And he hates the mags 😁🔴⚪️

@nosoupfordan: Why move to a Premier League club when you can turn your own into one? Over the moon with this.

@sunderlandafc11: Get riggy with it! Na na na na na nanaa na get riggy with it!

@Sunlundy: HE HATES NEWCASTLE 🔴⚪️🔴⚪️

@GILESY1973: “He hates Newcastle….

@tonyguk: What brilliant news this is. Over the moon at this and I’ve had me fingers crossed since the season ended for this news!

@BrianBo00053094: Fantastic news. Riggy is going to be a star STID FTM

@Philip_RJ89: Brilliant, brilliant news. He’ll be in the Archie Gray bracket by this time next year. An incredible talent for such a young player, and the club deserves massive credit for this. 👏🏻

@jgrimmer53: The absolute boy man. Basically we’re winning the lot then

@spuggygirl: Fantastic news!

@Ali_Marshall10: Not many kids would turn down the offers/clubs he has, huge credit to the club and Rigg himself. In the short term we have ourselves one of the best young talents in the country, and in the long term we’ve probably just made ourselves a lot of money. Good day for the club.

@IanCLucas: Excellent news. A young player with enormous potential.

@TheShipyardCat: Fantastic bit of business by the club securing such a talent. Well done to all involved #HawayTheLads

@SamMurphy1410: Best bit of business we’ll do all summer

@danielhersi: Big one this 🥳

@lmaddo_17: The best deal we will do all window this!

@Tog41: 👌 Great news. Looking forward to watching him develop next season 🔴⚪️

@brettd1981: We went through a period of losing our young prospects. To get this over the line with premier league clubs circulating says a lot. Fantastic news for the club to keep a talent like Chris Rigg #safc

@Jordanewcombe23: CHRIS RIGG OLE OLE OLEEEEEE 🎵

@PhilSpenc23: Incredible news for Sunderland fans. Chris Rigg has the potential to be a top, top player and at the very least, this deal ensures that Sunderland will get top dollar for him if he does eventually move on. Could be a big season for him coming up! #SAFC

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

More in Championship